[GrizHFMinimill] Re: Air Spring Conversion Kit ressort de moulin

  • mbphoton
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Gerry;
      >
      > It pales by comparison to the pulley counterbalance.
      > How much is a gas strut compared to a cinder block and
      > $7 worth of pulleys? Is there ANY advantage to a gas
      > strut? I think not.

      How about cost! :-)

      http://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?
      UID=2006070109123281&catname=engines&byKeyword=yes&search=gas%20spring

      Look at the bottom of the page, theres a few gas springs that will do
      that are LESS than 7 dollars worth of pulleys.

      I love my gas spring.

      mbphoton
    • John Pitkin
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2006
        > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young <barryjyoung@>
        > wrote:

        > > Hi Gerry;
        > > It pales by comparison to the pulley counterbalance.
        > > How much is a gas strut compared to a cinder block and
        > > $7 worth of pulleys? Is there ANY advantage to a gas
        > > strut? I think not.

        Well let's see.

        With a gas spring there is never any danger of the rope snapping and
        having a cinder block crash to the bench or floor.

        There is no need for a gantry, gin pole, or hook in the ceiling to
        hold up the rope and pulley.

        There is no wasted space in the shop for a cinder block elevator
        shaft.

        The gas spring looks professional and cleanÂ… The cinder black looks
        like Rube Goldberg dropped in for lunch.

        The reason you have a mill is to make things out of metal. Concrete
        blocks and ropes are for disposing of bodies in the East River.

        John Pitkin
        Greenville, Texas
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 4, 2006
          Whatever.

          --- John Pitkin <cedarcreekranch@...> wrote:

          > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young
          > <barryjyoung@>
          > > wrote:
          >
          > > > Hi Gerry;
          > > > It pales by comparison to the pulley
          > counterbalance.
          > > > How much is a gas strut compared to a cinder
          > block and
          > > > $7 worth of pulleys? Is there ANY advantage to a
          > gas
          > > > strut? I think not.
          >

          > Well let's see.
          >
          > With a gas spring there is never any danger of the
          > rope snapping and
          > having a cinder block crash to the bench or floor.
          >
          > There is no need for a gantry, gin pole, or hook in
          > the ceiling to
          > hold up the rope and pulley.
          >
          > There is no wasted space in the shop for a cinder
          > block elevator
          > shaft.
          >
          > The gas spring looks professional and cleanÂ… The
          > cinder black looks
          > like Rube Goldberg dropped in for lunch.
          >
          > The reason you have a mill is to make things out of
          > metal. Concrete
          > blocks and ropes are for disposing of bodies in the
          > East River.
          >

          > John Pitkin
          > Greenville, Texas

          > --------------------~-->
          > See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/RUTolB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John Pitkin
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 4, 2006
            Barry... you have to understand I'm the last guy that should talk
            about how to balance the z axis.

            We have a windmill, here on the farm, that needed a sucker rod
            counter balance. What did I use? A rope, pulley, and garage-sale free
            weights hanging on it!!! Works OK but the rope breaks about twice a
            year. Some day I'll make a lever-type balance. But a 75# spring would
            work, too.

            I put Rube Goldberg right up there with Edison, Goddard, and Mdm.
            Curie.

            JP

            wrote:

            > Whatever.
            >
            > --- John Pitkin <cedarcreekranch@...> wrote:
            . Concrete
            > > blocks and ropes are for disposing of bodies in the
            > > East River.
            > >

            > > John Pitkin
            > > Greenville, Texas

          • steveh8861
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 5, 2006
              hmmm, I use nylon coated steel cable, ball bearing pulleys and a dual
              compounded pulley arrangement so that you need only 1/2 the weight of
              the mill head. Very simple to build.And it looks good.
              Just a couple of short lenghts of 2" OD steel rod is all you need to
              counter the mini mill head if you use a compounded pulley setup.

              I no longer think my mini mill head needs any counter weighting since
              it is cnc'd with a ball screw on the Z axis, so I took it off and
              installed it on my x3. Now the x3 mill comes from the factory with
              nothing to offset the weight of the head. Just the lead screw is used
              to raise and lower the head which is probably close to 2.5 to 3 times
              the weight of the mini mill head. On the x3 mill the counterweight
              system made a big improvement in the effort needed to crank the head
              up and down with the handwheel.
              I would add a lead screw like Richard just did to his mini mill if I
              was still using my X2 for manual duties. That will be a much better
              improvement than any type of spring or counterweighting with the
              factory rack and pinion z drive.
              I can't imagine it would cost very much to add a lead screw to the z axis.
              Steve

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "John Pitkin"