Re: belt drive conversion

  • chippiejnr
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2006
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, dan daya <dandaya2@...> wrote:

      > John, what belt did you use ?
      > I am at present making a two part spindle pulley for a similar
      conversion.
      > Was it easy to replace the bearings?
      >
      > regards
      > dan

      Dan,

      I used a 6*300 mm belt, from Optiflex.Its a standard off the shelf
      item, similar to the Gates belt.

      Bearings were easy to change out, the use of a hydraulic press would
      make it very painless for yourself and the mill....Just ensure you
      put the outer races in the right way round if going for taper
      bearings..(grannies and eggs ?)

      The pulley I made from solid stock HE30 of appropriate diameter, the
      groove for the pulley was made with a hss profiled cutter ground to
      60 degrees..Not exact I know but suffices.
      So far the belt doesnt slip with reasonable tensioning,but I can
      stall the motor!

      HTH.

      John
    • shlomi.bena
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2010
        hello
        i have just bought the sieg mini mil and want to do some
        minor modifications. basically all i want is a belt drive conversion
        and maybe a stronger motor. i wanted to know if there is another kit avialable other than the steele one and if somone have replaced
        the motor unit or if its possible to do so at all
        thank you
      • whispers [HM]
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2010
          Littlemachineshop.com has a belt drive conversion kit for the X2 mini mill..

          is this the one you are refering to?