Re: [GrizHFMinimill] lubricants

  • Brian Pitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
      motor oil and any of the gun oils are too thin for machine tool use
      you want a thick sticky oil that will stay more or less where you put it
      there are oils just for this called way lube ,you can find it at a shop
      supply store or call some local shops and see if they can spare a
      quart or two (they get it in 5gal buckets)
      for a small batch you could make your own homebrew way lube with
      2 parts heavy gear oil and 1 part grease
      thin enough to pour but thick enough to coat and not run off

      Brian

      On Sunday 07 April 2002 10:02, you wrote:
      > I heard that you have to take the grizly mill apart when you receive
      > it and clean off the "gunk" since its not really a lube but more as a
      > preservative. What lubricants should I use? should I use motor oil or
      > gun oils (like brakefree CLP) since I have bunch of those and they do
      > a good job lubricating my gun... or do I have to use one of those
      > gunky type lubricants?
    • rabeet00
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
        I ordered a gallon of way oil from McMasters. Under $10, and more
        than I will ever use. ;)

        Ed