Re: Broken Gears

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Jess and Group,

      I just recently made my mini-mill CNC conversion kit available again
      on my web site at http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html.
      Jess, thanks for the "amen":)

      Best Regards,

      Ron Steele
      http://www.stirlingsteele.com

      ==================
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jess gypin"
      <ontarget1911@...> wrote:

      > Double amen to this. I bought one of Ron's kits about 3 months ago
      and have
      > been running the mill with it almost everyday. My business is
      gunsmithing
      > and I can tell you that the quality of the cuts are much better and
      that the
      > speed control is much more managable. The whole kit takes about 1/2
      hour to
      > put on and then no more gears and smooth quiet operation with better
      > reliability and better quality cuts. So don't buy more gears, just
      order
      > Ron's belt drive conversion. I just wish he still made the CNC
      conversion, I
      > would have gotten that at the same time!
      >
      > Jess
      >

      > On 4/30/06, Ron <millplans@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > >
      > > Heads up on Belt Drive Kit availability:
      > > http://www.littlemachineshop.com will have Belt Drive Kits in
      stock
      > > early this week If you were planning to order replacement gears
      > > from them this week you might as well order the Belt Drive Kit
      > > instead. Then you can forget about broken gears and having to
      baby
      > > your mill during heavy milling or drilling. As a bonus you will
      also
      > > get a much quieter mill that leaves a smoother surface finish on
      your
      > > parts.
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > >
      > > Ron Steele
      > > http://www.stirlingsteele.com/beltdrive.html
      > >
      > > =======================
      > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jtlr" <jtlr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I will most likely do the belt conversion once I get my mill
      back
      > > on line as you need a mill to hog out the base plate.
      > > > I would have got the LMS conversion outright but they are out of
      > > stock.
      > > >
      > > > Joe

      in
      > > > machining. Due to time issues, like the family and lawn etc.,
      > > I've
      > > > been working on it a little at a time for several weeks, but
      it's
      > > > almost finished. Probably could be done in a weekend or two
      > > working
      > > > steady. The best part is that either version eliminates ALL
      the
      > > gears
      > > > from the drive, AND, J Rollet has been kind enough to share
      his
      > > > version with the group by posting a very well done set of
      plans
      > > in the
      > > > files. Thanks to him, all the tedious foot work, i.e. pulley
      > > sizes,
      > > > and mounting plate measurements have been done.
      > > > The LMS version is also a good deal if you don't want to make
      > > your
      > > > own. Either way, it beats depending on those darn crappy
      gears!

      > > > Frank

      Terms
      > > of Service.

      ----
      > > ----------

      t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&c=2&s=45&.
      sig=oazrhjwgYm7B_6kmwHI_UA> Hobby
      > > and craft supply<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply
      &c=2&s=45&.sig=40vc54LJnTLWzProSGa21w>

      > > ------------------------------

    • nyceacres200
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2006
        Gary,

        I bought two belts (2L130) online from a place called Garage Door
        Parts. http//www.garagedoorsupply.com/v-belt.html Since belts are
        standardized like bearings etc., they should remain available.
        Granted,they aren't a "shelf" item, I would think any supplier should
        be able to get them. This site was in one of the sites I found when I
        started researching belt drive conversions, not sure which one. I deal
        with Grainger Supply alot at work, even though they don't list 2L
        belts, they said they could get them, might take a week or two. When I
        got them from Garage Door,(about a week) they sent a 2L and a 3L. I
        emailed them as to the problem, and the other 2L belt came express
        mail the next day! Very professional service. I offered to send back
        the 3L, they told me to keep it and appologized for the mix up.

        Frank
      • Gary Harper
        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2006

          Thanks.  I appreciate the information.

          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2006
            Gates has been making the 2L130 belt for about 40 years. It's used on
            many industrial sewing machines. I don't see them not making it for
            another 40 years.
          • Joe Taylor
            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2006
              Ron,
              Now you did it, You made by buy one of your kits!!!

              Now that I already have the head taken apart to replace broken gears.

              When should I get excited about getting the kit? I live in California.

              Thanks
              Joe

              <ontarget1911@...> wrote:

              > Double amen to this. I bought one of Ron's kits about 3 months ago
              and have
              > been running the mill with it almost everyday. My business is
              gunsmithing
              > and I can tell you that the quality of the cuts are much better and
              that the
              > speed control is much more managable. The whole kit takes about 1/2
              hour to
              > put on and then no more gears and smooth quiet operation with better
              > reliability and better quality cuts. So don't buy more gears, just
              order
              > Ron's belt drive conversion. I just wish he still made the CNC
              conversion, I
              > would have gotten that at the same time!
              >
              > Jess
              >

              > On 4/30/06, Ron <millplans@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Guys,
              > >
              > > Heads up on Belt Drive Kit availability:
              > > http://www.littlemachineshop.com will have Belt Drive Kits in
              stock
              > > early this week   If you were planning to order replacement gears
              > > from them this week you might as well order the Belt Drive Kit
              > > instead.  Then you can forget about broken gears and having to
              baby
              > > your mill during heavy milling or drilling.  As a bonus you will
              also
              > > get a much quieter mill that leaves a smoother surface finish on
              your
              > > parts.
              > >
              > > Best Regards,
              > >
              > > Ron Steele
              > > http://www.stirlingsteele.com/beltdrive.html

              > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jtlr" <jtlr@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I will most likely do the belt conversion once I get my mill
              back
              > > on line as you need a mill to hog out the base plate.
              > > > I would have got the LMS conversion outright but they are out of
              > > stock.
              > > >
              > > > Joe

              Terms