Collet Question * Newbie to group

  • rossi32s
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
      As i look around on Littlemachineshop.com and ebay for collets I see
      that i may be using "crap" currently.

      I am currently using the HF R8 collet holder and I have a 8 piece set
      of the "spring collets"

      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46002

      Are they junk? Should i bu using a different setup?

      How do the R8 Tapered ones clamp down on the cutting tools?

      http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
      ProductID=2030

      Thanks
      Scott
    • figNoggle
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
        hi scott-

        i prefer the er collets (like the one's you show from hf) over the r8
        collets.

        r8 collets work fine too but as you probably have experienced the spring
        collets don't require that you undo the drawbar which you have to do with
        the r8's.

        i bought a set of spring collets with a 0.0004" concentricity rating -
        pretty good deal. you can read more about it here:

        <http://www.fignoggle.com/themachine/tooling/hold.htm#ercollets>

        you could just shop at enco and j&l and end up with a great set.

        hope this helps

        CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
        HF 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-To's and More <http://www.fignoggle.com>
        NEW! Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>

        On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, rossi32s wrote:

        > As i look around on Littlemachineshop.com and ebay for collets I see
        > that i may be using "crap" currently.
        >
        > I am currently using the HF R8 collet holder and I have a 8 piece set
        > of the "spring collets"
        >
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46002
        >

        > Are they junk? Should i bu using a different setup?
        >
        > How do the R8 Tapered ones clamp down on the cutting tools?
        >
        > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
        > ProductID=2030
        >

        > Thanks
        > Scott
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Pitkin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
          The quality of the tooling and accessories you have is only limited
          by what you are making. If you are producing parts for hard disk
          drives or opthalmic operating microscopes, you might have "junk". If
          you are making parts for a riding mower. Nothing could be better.

          In other words: if they are working for you and you are making parts
          to the accuracy you desire... Don't change a thing.

          JTP

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "rossi32s" <srossi@...> wrote:

          > As i look around on Littlemachineshop.com and ebay for collets I
          see
          > that i may be using "crap" currently.
          >
          > I am currently using the HF R8 collet holder and I have a 8 piece
          set
          > of the "spring collets"
          >
          > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
          itemnumber=46002

          > Are they junk? Should i bu using a different setup?
          >
          > How do the R8 Tapered ones clamp down on the cutting tools?
          >
          > http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?
          > ProductID=2030
          >

          > Thanks
          > Scott