Re: converting from MT3 to R8

  • Radish
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Gary Harper <harperg@...>
      wrote:

      > I wrote to Seig awhile back and asked about these
      > things. They said different places order different
      > configurations but the quality is the same. I'm sure
      > if someone wanted to order with better bearings or
      > gears they would do that but it doesn't sound like for
      > identical components that the quality is any
      > different.

      BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER. Give this man the SEEeeeGAaaR, as he at
      least had the balls to write, then he got the answer direct from the
      horse's mouth, not like a lot of other ill informed comments that
      have come from the horse's A#$E.
      So ALL S#*T aside, they are ALL the same machine, no matter who's
      brand is on them.
      Big deal, one brand might have a R8 spindle and another brand might
      have a MT 3 spindle, others might have a torsion bar verses an air
      spring system, they's still the same machine, made by the SAME
      company.
      Until company A starts to advertise that they have EXTRAS fitted, or
      things done to them, to make them different, the cheapest is still
      the same as the dearest.
      So to ALL who say that their machine is better because it has a
      different brand sticker on it, they better go take a real hard look
      in the mirror and stop singing that song, OH LORD IT'S HARD TO BE
      HUMBLE and better learn to suck eggs.
      Back to this original part of this thread, can you change a MT3
      spindle for an R8 spindle, well, the answer is YES, but it will
      require a bit of machining to get it to work, as the R8 uses a bigger
      lower bearing on the spindle than an MT3.
      Why bother doing this when you can buy another unit at a good price
      anyway?????????

      regards
    • Monte Milanuk
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
        Well, if it's really that simple, then I guess you're right, might as
        well buy the one that has what I want. Whatever that might be.

        Thanks,

        Monte
      • Loren Card
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
          Wow. That's a spicy Radish.

          ./Loren

          PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.

          On 3/3/06, Radish <radish1us@...> wrote:
          > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Gary Harper <harperg@...>
          >
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I wrote to Seig awhile back and asked about these
          > > things. They said different places order different
          > > configurations but the quality is the same. I'm sure
          > > if someone wanted to order with better bearings or
          > > gears they would do that but it doesn't sound like for
          > > identical components that the quality is any
          > > different.
          > >
          > BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER. Give this man the SEEeeeGAaaR, as he at
          > least had the balls to write, then he got the answer direct from the
          > horse's mouth, not like a lot of other ill informed comments that
          > have come from the horse's A#$E.
          > So ALL S#*T aside, they are ALL the same machine, no matter who's
          > brand is on them.
          > Big deal, one brand might have a R8 spindle and another brand might
          > have a MT 3 spindle, others might have a torsion bar verses an air
          > spring system, they's still the same machine, made by the SAME
          > company.
          > Until company A starts to advertise that they have EXTRAS fitted, or
          > things done to them, to make them different, the cheapest is still
          > the same as the dearest.
          > So to ALL who say that their machine is better because it has a
          > different brand sticker on it, they better go take a real hard look
          > in the mirror and stop singing that song, OH LORD IT'S HARD TO BE
          > HUMBLE and better learn to suck eggs.
          > Back to this original part of this thread, can you change a MT3
          > spindle for an R8 spindle, well, the answer is YES, but it will
          > require a bit of machining to get it to work, as the R8 uses a bigger
          > lower bearing on the spindle than an MT3.
          > Why bother doing this when you can buy another unit at a good price
          > anyway?????????
          >
          > regards

          > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply

          > ________________________________

        • Radish
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Card" <loren.card@...>
            wrote:

            > Wow. That's a spicy Radish.
            >
            > ./Loren
            >
            > PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.

            Good on yah, now with the money you saved, you can go buy lots of extra
            tooling. If any 'turkeys' want to spend an extra 125 bucks for the same
            thing, let 'em.
            Remember the saying, how can you soar like an eagle when your running
            with turkeys, sure applies here.

            regards
          • JFarmer
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
              Radish you know some new member will ask this same question next week don't
              you? (which min-mill is better?)
              John
              At 07:39 PM 3/3/2006, you wrote:

              >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Card" <loren.card@...>
              >wrote:
              > >
              > > Wow. That's a spicy Radish.
              > >
              > > ./Loren
              > >
              > > PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.
              > >
              >Good on yah, now with the money you saved, you can go buy lots of extra
              >tooling. If any 'turkeys' want to spend an extra 125 bucks for the same
              >thing, let 'em.
              >Remember the saying, how can you soar like an eagle when your running
              >with turkeys, sure applies here.
              >
              >regards
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >--
            • John Pitkin
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                Well, it goes like this in the marketing world:
                You can boast your machine is finer finish, higher quality control,
                stronger motor, more accurate or prettier... But in the USA you have
                to be able to prove it or the FTC knocks on your door when someone
                cries BS to the Atty General.

                You notice... No one claims their mini-mill is better than any other.
                Not even the guys with green paint.

                But the myth continues, "If you pay more you are supposed to get
                more." Hey, it works for selling Lexus and Camry, or Tahoes and
                Escalades. Someone has to think they got a better machine and is
                willing to pay for it.

                I got my R8 mill from Homier. Originally it was $399. They had two on
                the truck plus one on the floor. Of the two on the truck, one had a
                broken crate. Not severe, but looked like they smushed it a bit. I
                made a deal right there, subject to opening the crate and inspecting
                it, for $299.

                We popped open the case, and it was clear the machine was never hurt,
                just exterior crate damage.

                YooHoo!!! Save another $100.

                Now, if you want to convert even more cash on your Grizzly Greenie.
                Paint it white and get a few JET stickers. They are really proud of
                their white paint. Never mind that JET doesn't sell one. Somebody out
                there wants their mini-mill to match the really overpriced BD920
                lathe they bought in white. Just tell them it is a Grizzly upgraded
                to JET white. OOOH!!! AAAAH!!!

                Now, when you get your HF, Homier, Cummins... you can still order
                most of the parts from Grizzly or all of them from LMS.

                Then, if you must, get a can of greeen paint to make it match the
                rest of the gristle-green items, and take the missus out to dinner on
                the money you saved. (Be sure to skim 75 bucks for that new R8 boring
                head/boring bar combination.)And pat yourself on the back for being
                so smart for not trying to convert an MT3 to an R8.

                Have fun guys!

                John Pitkin
                Greenville, TX
                (where every tool in the shop is a different color.)