Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: converting from MT3 to R8

  • Gary Harper
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
      I wrote to Seig awhile back and asked about these
      things. They said different places order different
      configurations but the quality is the same. I'm sure
      if someone wanted to order with better bearings or
      gears they would do that but it doesn't sound like for
      identical components that the quality is any
      different.

      --- Charles Owen <cbowen@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      It is absolutely true that all of these machines are
      made by the
      same company. But, that's not at all an indication
      that they need
      be identical. There are minor differences already
      (air spring vs.
      torsion bar, MT3/R8, metal gears). Companies
      negotiate with Sieg to
      produce the product they want at a given price. And,
      that does not
      necessarily mean the quality will be the same, either.
      Now, I've
      not heard any evidence that the quality is different
      for the more
      expensive brands, but Grizzly could choose to require
      a higher
      quality product and pay Sieg more. I'm sure they
      would be happy to
      oblige. (Actually, has anyone owned both a Harbor
      Freight and a
      Grizzly mill? I don't know that much of the quality
      comparison has
      been by someone who's seen both to compare.)

      My father worked most of his life in an automobile
      battery plant.
      They made batteries for Ford, Sears, JC Penny, and
      many other
      companies. They were all made on the same machines by
      the same
      people. But, they were all different and the quality
      was
      different. Some venders paid more for better
      inspection, better
      testing, better materials, etc. And, those batteries
      were better.

      There's a lot of interest in these machines, so the
      origin has been
      traced. I think you'd be shocked at how many other
      things from very
      different companies with vastly different qualities
      get made by the
      same people in the same Chinese factory.

      Frankly, I'm surprised Grizzly (at least) hasn't
      negotiated
      improvements in these machines to set themselves apart
      from the
      crowd. They probably have the most buying power.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Radish"
      <radish1us@...>
      wrote:
      > Well Monty, a warm fuzzy feeling EH, think you
      better take a real
      > GOOD LOOK at this link. Might need a cold shower for
      a reality
      check
      > after reading this lot.
      >
      > http://www.siegind.com/index.htm
      >
      > Look real hard at any of the red and black series
      machines and
      just
      > imagine any of them with a coat of green, red,
      yellow or blue
      paint
      > on them. Oh, by the way, just change any of the
      stick on product
      > names/brands as well.
      > THEY ARE ALL THE SAME BLOODY MACHINE,NO MATTER WHO'S
      BRAND IS ON
      > THEM.
      > Better loose that warm fuzzy feeling before you go
      catch a cold.

      > They are ALL made by the same company, to the same
      master
      drawing,to
      > the same standard, the only difference is the price
      from one
      company
      > to the next. If company " A ", buys them twenty at a
      time, then
      they
      > are going to cost a lot more.
      > If company " B " , buys them a thousand at a time,
      well there
      going
      > to sell them a lot cheaper than company " A " can
      ever sell
      there's
      > for.
      > The old story, buy 'em cheap, stack 'em high, sell
      'em cheap. Or
      buy
      > them in small quantities and try and sell them as a
      better unit
      than
      > the el cheapo's, yeh right, pull the other one, it
      plays jingle
      > bells.
      > Now you have heard of these horror stories, about
      this brand or
      that
      > brand, next time, have a good look at the cowboy,
      who has stuffed
      up
      > his machine before you say brand X is worse than
      brand Y, it's
      > called operator error, not better brand of machine.

      Craft
      hobby Hobby and
      craft supply

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • Radish
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Gary Harper <harperg@...>
        wrote:

        > I wrote to Seig awhile back and asked about these
        > things. They said different places order different
        > configurations but the quality is the same. I'm sure
        > if someone wanted to order with better bearings or
        > gears they would do that but it doesn't sound like for
        > identical components that the quality is any
        > different.

        BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER. Give this man the SEEeeeGAaaR, as he at
        least had the balls to write, then he got the answer direct from the
        horse's mouth, not like a lot of other ill informed comments that
        have come from the horse's A#$E.
        So ALL S#*T aside, they are ALL the same machine, no matter who's
        brand is on them.
        Big deal, one brand might have a R8 spindle and another brand might
        have a MT 3 spindle, others might have a torsion bar verses an air
        spring system, they's still the same machine, made by the SAME
        company.
        Until company A starts to advertise that they have EXTRAS fitted, or
        things done to them, to make them different, the cheapest is still
        the same as the dearest.
        So to ALL who say that their machine is better because it has a
        different brand sticker on it, they better go take a real hard look
        in the mirror and stop singing that song, OH LORD IT'S HARD TO BE
        HUMBLE and better learn to suck eggs.
        Back to this original part of this thread, can you change a MT3
        spindle for an R8 spindle, well, the answer is YES, but it will
        require a bit of machining to get it to work, as the R8 uses a bigger
        lower bearing on the spindle than an MT3.
        Why bother doing this when you can buy another unit at a good price
        anyway?????????

        regards
      • Monte Milanuk
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
          Well, if it's really that simple, then I guess you're right, might as
          well buy the one that has what I want. Whatever that might be.

          Thanks,

          Monte
        • Loren Card
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
            Wow. That's a spicy Radish.

            ./Loren

            PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.

            On 3/3/06, Radish <radish1us@...> wrote:
            > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Gary Harper <harperg@...>
            >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I wrote to Seig awhile back and asked about these
            > > things. They said different places order different
            > > configurations but the quality is the same. I'm sure
            > > if someone wanted to order with better bearings or
            > > gears they would do that but it doesn't sound like for
            > > identical components that the quality is any
            > > different.
            > >
            > BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER. Give this man the SEEeeeGAaaR, as he at
            > least had the balls to write, then he got the answer direct from the
            > horse's mouth, not like a lot of other ill informed comments that
            > have come from the horse's A#$E.
            > So ALL S#*T aside, they are ALL the same machine, no matter who's
            > brand is on them.
            > Big deal, one brand might have a R8 spindle and another brand might
            > have a MT 3 spindle, others might have a torsion bar verses an air
            > spring system, they's still the same machine, made by the SAME
            > company.
            > Until company A starts to advertise that they have EXTRAS fitted, or
            > things done to them, to make them different, the cheapest is still
            > the same as the dearest.
            > So to ALL who say that their machine is better because it has a
            > different brand sticker on it, they better go take a real hard look
            > in the mirror and stop singing that song, OH LORD IT'S HARD TO BE
            > HUMBLE and better learn to suck eggs.
            > Back to this original part of this thread, can you change a MT3
            > spindle for an R8 spindle, well, the answer is YES, but it will
            > require a bit of machining to get it to work, as the R8 uses a bigger
            > lower bearing on the spindle than an MT3.
            > Why bother doing this when you can buy another unit at a good price
            > anyway?????????
            >
            > regards

            > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply

            > ________________________________

          • Radish
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 3, 2006
              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Card" <loren.card@...>
              wrote:

              > Wow. That's a spicy Radish.
              >
              > ./Loren
              >
              > PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.

              Good on yah, now with the money you saved, you can go buy lots of extra
              tooling. If any 'turkeys' want to spend an extra 125 bucks for the same
              thing, let 'em.
              Remember the saying, how can you soar like an eagle when your running
              with turkeys, sure applies here.

              regards
            • JFarmer
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                Radish you know some new member will ask this same question next week don't
                you? (which min-mill is better?)
                John
                At 07:39 PM 3/3/2006, you wrote:

                >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Card" <loren.card@...>
                >wrote:
                > >
                > > Wow. That's a spicy Radish.
                > >
                > > ./Loren
                > >
                > > PS: I ordered from Cummins cause they were cheaper.
                > >
                >Good on yah, now with the money you saved, you can go buy lots of extra
                >tooling. If any 'turkeys' want to spend an extra 125 bucks for the same
                >thing, let 'em.
                >Remember the saying, how can you soar like an eagle when your running
                >with turkeys, sure applies here.
                >
                >regards
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >--
              • John Pitkin
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Well, it goes like this in the marketing world:
                  You can boast your machine is finer finish, higher quality control,
                  stronger motor, more accurate or prettier... But in the USA you have
                  to be able to prove it or the FTC knocks on your door when someone
                  cries BS to the Atty General.

                  You notice... No one claims their mini-mill is better than any other.
                  Not even the guys with green paint.

                  But the myth continues, "If you pay more you are supposed to get
                  more." Hey, it works for selling Lexus and Camry, or Tahoes and
                  Escalades. Someone has to think they got a better machine and is
                  willing to pay for it.

                  I got my R8 mill from Homier. Originally it was $399. They had two on
                  the truck plus one on the floor. Of the two on the truck, one had a
                  broken crate. Not severe, but looked like they smushed it a bit. I
                  made a deal right there, subject to opening the crate and inspecting
                  it, for $299.

                  We popped open the case, and it was clear the machine was never hurt,
                  just exterior crate damage.

                  YooHoo!!! Save another $100.

                  Now, if you want to convert even more cash on your Grizzly Greenie.
                  Paint it white and get a few JET stickers. They are really proud of
                  their white paint. Never mind that JET doesn't sell one. Somebody out
                  there wants their mini-mill to match the really overpriced BD920
                  lathe they bought in white. Just tell them it is a Grizzly upgraded
                  to JET white. OOOH!!! AAAAH!!!

                  Now, when you get your HF, Homier, Cummins... you can still order
                  most of the parts from Grizzly or all of them from LMS.

                  Then, if you must, get a can of greeen paint to make it match the
                  rest of the gristle-green items, and take the missus out to dinner on
                  the money you saved. (Be sure to skim 75 bucks for that new R8 boring
                  head/boring bar combination.)And pat yourself on the back for being
                  so smart for not trying to convert an MT3 to an R8.

                  Have fun guys!

                  John Pitkin
                  Greenville, TX
                  (where every tool in the shop is a different color.)