CNC Time! I need your help

    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 1 12:41 AM
      Hello Group:

      When I started this group, I had no way of knowing it would draw
      together such a horde of capable people working toward a common
      goal. People like Uncle Rabid, Cletus, Chris Wood and a hundred
      others. Now I finally need the groups help. I think this is the
      first time I have asked for assistance from this group.

      Can you help me? I need to convert my minimill to CNC. It needs to
      be a smaller project as I already have many big projects. Does
      anybody make a CNC retrofit package that is EASY to install and that
      will actually work on my minimill?

      I built a Shumatech DRO and can do component soldering if I
      absolutely must. I would MUCH rather bolt this thing together. I
      need the end result not the wonderful experience of the conversion
      process. The electronics needs to be pretty much plug and play. The
      motor brackets and mechanical stuff I can make if I cannot buy it. I
      want to draw parts on my PC then run them on my CNC like I do at
      work. I don't have the time to scour ebay for a year to gather
      components that will end up not working together for the same reason
      every other project I have done that way has failed. I need to buy
      the stuff from one or maybe two companies knowing it will all work
      together.

      99% of my cutting will be wood, brass and aluminum. I can run the
      steel stuff I have to do at work. So it need not be terribly
      powerful. I can program using CAD/CAM software and also at the
      machine using EIA (G/M) Code. The important thing is that this
      project not take more than a month at most.

      I don't know a servo from a stepper and don't want to. I just want
      to bolt it on and start programming. I just spent 5 hours surfing
      the net trying to find this kit that I want. I found mounds of
      individual components and partial kits. That isn't what I want. I
      want a box that has what I need in it. I can make brackets and motor
      mounts, but the electronics scares the bejeesus out of me.

      Hopefully someone has actually done this and can steer me in the
      right direction.

      Can you help me?

      Please?

      Thank you very much.

      Barry Young
      cameramaker.com
    • Neil
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 3 10:34 PM
        Barry,

        If this is an HF-style mini mill, you should also check this out
        www.cncfusion.com. I just got my Micro Mill kit from him, and it seems
        really nice. I will start putting it together tomorrow. He also sells a
        Mini-mill kit with ballscrews for about $525 IIRC.

        Cheers,
        -Neil.