Beginner mistakes

  • rabeet00
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2002
      It has been fun these past few weeks whacking away at metal and
      plastic with my new mill.

      It has also been interesting to note where I have gone wrong and what
      I think I need to improve the setup further.

      I would say the most common mistake is not locking down the slides I
      am not moving for a cut. This is mostly been an issue when doing
      things like driving 1" end mills into acrylic.

      I do not like those spring loaded levers. I replaced them with 6mm
      cap screws and keep a long t handle hex key handy. I also ordered
      some various knobs from McMaster to try.

      I have also noticed that making cuts like the above causes the Z axis
      to behave rather strangely. Like the backlash is just enough to cause
      it to push back. I am getting very nice finishes, though.

      I think and work in millimeters, so using the handles to attempt to
      measure what I am doing is proving frustrating. Scribed lines and
      fine cuts seem to help. But what I really need is a DRO. ;)

      Tool wise, I have used center cutting end mills, ball end mills, a 3"
      saw and a boring head.

      I am using both collets and end mill holders and I have a strong
      preference for the collets. The cuts are a touch cleaner and I get
      back lots of room.

      I am liking the LMS $99 vise I bought, though when I went to clean it
      up and adjust it I got a bit confused until I figured out how the
      durned thing is put together. If anyone has any tips here, I'd like
      to know.
    • jjfear
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
        A 1" endmill is stretching the capacity of these mills. That is one
        of the problems of R-8 collets on this tsize mill is that they were
        designed for much larger mills and thus come in sizes that encourages
        the use of cutters that are too large. MT3 tapers top out at 3/4",
        which is the largest I use.

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "rabeet00" <rabeet00@y...> wrote:
        > It has been fun these past few weeks whacking away at metal and
        > plastic with my new mill.
        >
        > It has also been interesting to note where I have gone wrong and what
        > I think I need to improve the setup further.
        >
        > I would say the most common mistake is not locking down the slides I
        > am not moving for a cut. This is mostly been an issue when doing
        > things like driving 1" end mills into acrylic.
        >
        > I do not like those spring loaded levers. I replaced them with 6mm
        > cap screws and keep a long t handle hex key handy. I also ordered
        > some various knobs from McMaster to try.
        >
        > I have also noticed that making cuts like the above causes the Z axis
        > to behave rather strangely. Like the backlash is just enough to cause
        > it to push back. I am getting very nice finishes, though.
        >
        > I think and work in millimeters, so using the handles to attempt to
        > measure what I am doing is proving frustrating. Scribed lines and
        > fine cuts seem to help. But what I really need is a DRO. ;)
        >
        > Tool wise, I have used center cutting end mills, ball end mills, a 3"
        > saw and a boring head.
        >
        > I am using both collets and end mill holders and I have a strong
        > preference for the collets. The cuts are a touch cleaner and I get
        > back lots of room.
        >
        > I am liking the LMS $99 vise I bought, though when I went to clean it
        > up and adjust it I got a bit confused until I figured out how the
        > durned thing is put together. If anyone has any tips here, I'd like
        > to know.
      • rabeet00
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
          The 15/16 and 1" end mills I am using have 3/4" and 5/8" shanks. I am
          also using them on acrylic, which cuts a little easier than most
          metals. Or does that matter?

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
            Yes, it definitely matters. You should not be doing
            any harm to your machine cutting acrylic with big
            cutters unless the rattling from an interrupted cut
            makes losing a gear tooth possible.

            Barry Young

            http://sports.yahoo.com