Re: quality of asian machine equipment

  • pb10k
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      Please don't misunderstand, I own an R-8 spindle mini-mill and it's
      OK for the price and considering I can't find an R-8 spindle mill in
      this size anywhere else.
      But...
      What does a decent Chinese mill look like?
      Do the Chinese factories produce them?
      I've seen a few Chinese industrial machines in the local showrooms.
      I've never seen any Chinese built machines possess what I would
      believe to be the finish of a Bridgeport or Hardinge.
      Unfortunately, I don't have the room for a used Bridgeport or I'd buy
      one, especially with current prices. :-(

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "bobjoshua" <bobjoshua@y...>
      wrote:

      > Since writing the original post on this topic I have had discussion
      > with my supplier. He indicates that the deal the retailer makes
      with
      > the Asian manufacturer is to provide so many lathes/mills or what
      > have yous at a given price. So if you want crap mills at dirt
      prices
      > they will make them and deliver.But if you want a decent mill it
      > will cost more. They will make that too. you get what you pay for.
      > Regards and CAVEAT EMPTOR>
      > Bobby.
      >

      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "moparado" <kenwm2@m...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Bob,
      > > Great post. Buyer Beware! or 'You get what you pay for'
      > > At this point just about all of my power tools and machines are
      of
      > > Chinese origin except for those older ones from the pre-Chinese
      > era.
      > > I've got mixed feelings about all this. On one hand, if not for
      > the
      > > Chinese imports, i most likely would not be the owner of a lathe
      > or
      > > mill but on the other hand i hate seeing all of that
      manufacturing
      > > going overseas. And don't even mention outsourcing, i lost my
      last
      > > job to that. Its sad indeed to see the manufacturing base in this
      > > country dissintigrate right before our eyes. And yet we consumers
      > are
      > > part of that problem. About the only thing i refuse to buy from a
      > > foreign country are automobiles. But then come to find out my
      Jeep
      > > Cherokee was assembled in Canada. Won't be long before Chevys and
      > > Fords are also made overseas. Chrysler is already foreign owned.
      > >
      > > Getting back to your point, i've had extremely good luck with my
      > > Chinese stuff including drill, lathe tools and mill bits. True,
      > the
      > > machines needed to be tweaked and fine-tuned but still well worth
      > the
      > > initial cost. Been getting most of em from HF who i've had no
      > > problems dealing with the one defect and wrong stuff i received
      > from
      > > mail order. My mill and lathe came from Homier and although i had
      > no
      > > problems with them, Homier said they'd replace the unit or part
      if
      > > necessary. Never had to test Homier, so i don't know for sure. In
      > > some respects im lucky because both HF and Homier have nearby
      > retail
      > > stores where i live and if possible always purchase items from
      > them
      > > rather than mail order. No mail-order return hassles.
      > > Buying from a reputable dealer and a large reputable dealer at
      > that
      > > is probably the key to it all. Been hearing good stuff about LMS
      > and
      > > will place my next order with them. Also going to place another
      > order
      > > with ENCO for some hard-to-find items.
      > > Don't beleive a company with a bad reputation would stay in
      > business
      > > with these internet forums once the word got out.
      > > Ken

    • Jim RabidWolf
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        Having explored that arena, I can tell you that the Asian factories, especially those in India and China, can produce any quality and quantity for which you are willing to pay. SIEG produces the same model mill in several qualities - from across the room the only clue might be the color.... but up close is a different story.

        Rabid
        Uncle Rabid ( http://www.unclerabid.com )
        We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
          For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
        "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"

        wrote:

> [...]
        if
        > > necessary. Never had to test Homier, so i don't know for sure. In
        > > some respects im lucky because both HF and Homier have nearby
        > retail
        > > stores where i live and if possible always purchase items from
        > them
        > > rather than mail order.  No mail-order return hassles.
        > > Buying from a reputable dealer and a large reputable dealer at
        > that
        > > is probably the key to it all. Been hearing good stuff about LMS
        > and
        > > will place my next order with them. Also going to place another
        > order
        > > with ENCO for some hard-to-find items.
        > > Don't beleive a company with a bad reputation would stay in
        > business
        > > with these internet forums once the word got out.

      • pb10k
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Jim RabidWolf"
          <aardvark@p...> wrote: > SIEG produces the same model mill in several
          qualities - from across the room the only clue might be the color....
          but up close is a different story.
          << Do any of their higher quality models make an appearance in the
          USA?
          Do they have the same plastic gears or bronze gears? >>>>>

          -