3"Screwless Vice

  • embfeniscowles12
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2005
      I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice has long
      slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end. In
      consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with simple
      hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice with the
      length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to hold it
      down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very precise and
      I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had a slot
      or holes in the ends. Ted.
    • jay none
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2005
        i bought the same vice. its really nice to use but i also wish it had holes in the ends for clamping.
        my main issue though is to find a way to angle it without spending all my cash on an angle plate

        embfeniscowles12 <embfeniscowles12@...> wrote:
        I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice has long
        slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end. In
        consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with simple
        hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice with the
        length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to hold it
        down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very precise and
        I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had a slot
        or holes in the ends. Ted.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • embfeniscowles12
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2005
          Jay: I bought a 3" angle vice. It was only about $20. It is not as
          precise as the $50 screwless type but very well made. I have used it
          several times for 45 degree milling and it works very well. It
          doesn't have degree markings on it but I use a machinists protractor
          without a problem. Certainly for $20 I can do all my angle work with
          a fair degree of precision. Hope this helps. Ted.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, jay none <hydrobuilder@y...>
          wrote:

          > i bought the same vice. its really nice to use but i also wish it
          had holes in the ends for clamping.
          > my main issue though is to find a way to angle it without
          spending all my cash on an angle plate

          > embfeniscowles12 <embfeniscowles12@y...> wrote:
          > I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice
          has long
          > slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end. In
          > consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with
          simple
          > hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice with
          the
          > length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to
          hold it
          > down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very precise
          and
          > I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had a
          slot
          > or holes in the ends. Ted.

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • jacksmith21006
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 8:09 PM
            I have the exact same vise on order. What do I need in addition to
            what comes with the vise to hold it down? I would like to be ready to
            go when it comes. What are simple hold-downs? Do they come with the
            vise?

            Thanks!

            -Jym-
            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "embfeniscowles12"
            <embfeniscowles12@...> wrote:

            > I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice has
            long
            > slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end. In
            > consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with simple
            > hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice with
            the
            > length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to hold
            it
            > down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very precise
            and
            > I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had a
            slot
            > or holes in the ends. Ted.

          • figNoggle
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 10:37 PM
              you'll either have to make some holders or use step block clamps to hold
              them down. the vise doesn't come with any hold-down clamps.

              <http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=400-2438&PMPXNO=951231&PARTPG=INLMK32>
              Model #400-2438

              you can then use these to hold down your vise while you make dedicated
              low-profile clamps for the vise after which you can return them for later
              use.

              CNC Plans <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (DRO too)
              HF 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-To's and More <http://www.fignoggle.com>
              NEW! Sieg X3 and Super X3 Mill Information <http://www.superx3.com>

              On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, jacksmith21006 wrote:

              > I have the exact same vise on order. What do I need in addition to
              > what comes with the vise to hold it down? I would like to be ready to
              > go when it comes. What are simple hold-downs? Do they come with the
              > vise?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > -Jym-
              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "embfeniscowles12"
              > <embfeniscowles12@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice has
              > long
              > > slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end. In
              > > consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with simple
              > > hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice with
              > the
              > > length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to hold
              > it
              > > down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very precise
              > and
              > > I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had a
              > slot
              > > or holes in the ends. Ted.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • lhbakeland
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3 9:30 AM
                I got really enthuastic one day and made quite a few pairs of the
                small holding blocks shown in an eBay auction. I have the exact
                bolts that you need to fit the T slot nuts that came with the mini
                mill. They are the correct length and thread size and don't bottom
                out. Please don't ask about the other components. They have bee
                sold.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                ViewItem&item=5881453138&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&rd=1

                I had the very same dilemma that you had, and bought the entire
                clamping kit, but I found that the studs were always too long and
                the clamps were really too large for the small stuff that I was
                machining. Once I had the vise clamped, I made these blocks.

                I have four pairs of the small surface clamps, bolts and washers
                left. I'd take $10 a set delivered anywhere in the US, if anyone is
                interested.

                With the vise clamped on the table, you can make any other clamping
                fixture that you need. These are really strong 6061-T6 aluminum
                made from angle sections with 3/8" material.

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "jacksmith21006"
                <jacksmith21006@...> wrote:

                > I have the exact same vise on order. What do I need in addition
                > what comes with the vise to hold it down? I would like to be
                ready to
                > go when it comes. What are simple hold-downs? Do they come with
                the
                > vise?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Jym-
                > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "embfeniscowles12"
                > <embfeniscowles12@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice
                has
                > long
                > > slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end.
                In
                > > consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with
                simple
                > > hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice
                with
                > the
                > > length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to
                hold
                > it
                > > down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very
                precise
                > and
                > > I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had
                > slot
                > > or holes in the ends. Ted.

              • David Oulton
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3 10:16 AM
                  Let me know if you have any more clamps left Dave

                  <jacksmith21006@...> wrote:

                  > I have the exact same vise on order.  What do I need in addition
                  > what comes with the vise to hold it down?  I would like to be
                  ready to
                  > go when it comes.  What are simple hold-downs?  Do they come with
                  the
                  > vise?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > -Jym-
                  > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "embfeniscowles12"
                  > <embfeniscowles12@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I bought a 3" screwless vice from ENCO for about $49. The vice
                  has
                  > long
                  > > slots down both sides BUT has no slots or holes on either end.
                  In
                  > > consequence I use the vice across the table all the time with
                  simple
                  > > hold-downs in the long slots. I wish that I could use the vice
                  with
                  > the
                  > > length going down the X axis but I haven't figured out a way to
                  hold
                  > it
                  > > down yet in this position. The vice is very well made, very
                  precise
                  > and
                  > > I really like it and use it a lot. I do wish however that it had
                  > slot
                  > > or holes in the ends. Ted.

                • lhbakeland
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3 10:31 AM
                    Dave,

                    Just send me $10 to my PayPal account at digitaltorque@..., and
                    I'll have a set in the mail for you ASAP.

                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "David Oulton" <doulton@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Let me know if you have any more clamps left Dave

                  • figNoggle
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3 10:34 AM
                      On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, lhbakeland wrote:

                      > I had the very same dilemma that you had, and bought the entire
                      > clamping kit, but I found that the studs were always too long and
                      > the clamps were really too large for the small stuff that I was
                      > machining. Once I had the vise clamped, I made these blocks.

                      you can use all-thread and make your own to suit. works great and it's
                      inexpensive.

                      i recently got into mitee-bit clamps and made a clamp plate to use with
                      the cam-lock style clamps. it's threaded 3/8"x16tpi so it'll also work
                      with the step clamps. one of the problems i kept running into with the
                      steps was clearance between the spindle/er collet nut and the flange nut
                      of the step clamps. the mitee-bites are low-profile and usually don't get
                      in the way of the spindle so there's no worrying about that as much.
                    • Hogleg Willy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3 12:15 PM
                        I'll take a set also... For that price, does not make sense to buy the
                        aluminum...

                        Please reply and I will then paypal you the $$...

                        John

                      • lhbakeland
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 3 5:04 PM
                          John,

                          I have three sets that are 1-1/2 inch wide and one set that is one
                          onch wide. The wide ones are better, unless your vise has slots on
                          the end. The 1 inch ones will fit in the half moon slots on the
                          ends as well as on the sides.

                          The Enco 428-9126. which has no end slots.

                          The Enco 505-2143 has the end slots.

                          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2143

                          Again $10 delivered.

                          PayPal is digitaltorque@...

                          Correct sized metric bolts and washers are included.

                          Thanks for your interest,

                          Leo

                          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Hogleg Willy