Backordered HF 44991 Mini-Mill

  • tonyaprice@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2001
      I placed my order for the Harbor Freight 44991 Mini-Mill on 4-1-01
      because I really wanted the R-8 spindle taper. However, I am becoming
      very frustrated with HF. Each time I call to check on the status of
      my mill the delivery date is again pushed back. Checked yesterday and
      was told it will ship on 5-25-01. I have made the decision to give HF
      until the end of the month if I have not received confirmation of
      shipment I will cancel my order and purchase the Grizzly model. I
      ordered the Grizzly 7X12 lathe on the same day and received it 7 days
      later. The real problem I have with HF is their inability to give me
      and clear and reasonable reason for the delay. I sure wish Grizzly
      would offer the mill with the R-8 spindle.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2001
        Hiya Tony:

        You will find that in addition to realistic delivery
        dates, Grizzly has excellent customer service.

        I had a bearing problem. The dust covers on the main
        spindle bearings were dented. I was able to pry one
        out and straigheten it. I reinstalled that one with
        both dust seals in place. The other I am still running
        with one dust seal as the one I pried out was too
        meesed up to reinstall. I emailed Grizzly asking for
        replacement bearing and they immediately sent out
        bearings for the intermediate gear shaft. This
        happened because I used the part number in the owners
        manual instead of giving them the number on the
        bearing itself. Once the incorrect bearings arrived, I
        got back on the email and told them what had happened.
        I sent them the number on the bearing and they
        immediately sent out the correct ones. It was a small
        mess, but now I have a full set of replacement
        bearings if I ever need them. The key word is
        IMMEDIATE hassle free shipment of replacement parts. I
        am very impressed with the service from Grizzly.

        As to needing an R-8 spindle, cheap and good collets
        are available for the morse taper spindle are
        available from littlemachineshop.com aleviating the
        need for an R-8 spindle.

        Good luck.

        Barry Young

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • jtec@cnw.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2001
          > I really wanted the R-8 spindle taper.

          IMO, an R8 spindle on these small, moderately powered mills is
          unnecessary. The main benefit of the R8 collet is less slippage
          under severe load, but that is not an issue if you don't abuse the
          machine. R8 tooling is slightly less expensive, but not enough to
          keep me from going with MT-3. Also, from what I've seen of the
          HF stuff, you might get better quality from Grizzly.
        • tonyaprice@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2001
            Hello Group,

            Well, I just contacted Harbor Freight and the ship date for the
            44991 Min-Mill has again been moved out. HF now shows a proposed ship
            date of 6-22-01, mind you the order was placed on 4-1-01. Last week I
            sent a letter by e-mail to HF Customer Service asking for some
            feedback on the problems they are having with delivery of this mill.
            As on this time today I have not received any type of a reply. I just
            called and canceled the mini-mill order and ask for a RMA for the R-8
            Collet set orderer the at the same time as the mill. I will no long
            buy any products from a company where my business in not important
            enought to reply back to my inquirys. HF has some very good pricing,
            but their total lack of customer service with no attemps to address
            open issues will keep me off their web site and out of their
            catalogs.
            Another fact is that on the 2 orders I placed since 4-1-01 for a
            total
            of 8 items, 6 were backordered, 1 was canceld by HF. I do not see how
            they stay in business with this type of service.

            On 4-1-01 I ordered the 7X12 Mini-Lathe,4" milling vise,and five
            other
            items from Grizzly all were ship and received in less than 10 days.
            will order the Grizzly mini-mill on Saturday.

            I apologize for my ranting but I needed to blow off some steam and I
            do hope this post keeps another other group member from making the
            same mistakes as my self.

            Thanks,

            Tony