Cheap solution for locking spindle pin

  • idmason60
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Folks

      I was reading where several gear crash failures of the
      mill were caused by leaving spindle locking pin in spindle and
      starting up the mill. I know that several mods have posted that
      can be preformed on the mill but here is one for the pin that takes
      just a minute and cost practically nothing.

      This idea may have been posted on this or other sites I just haven't
      seen it.

      I used a drill bit depth stop with set screw and a spring that fits
      a little tight on the locking pin but would still spring out and not
      fall off.
      You push the pin in and lock spindle and when your hand is off
      the pin and it will pop back out and safely unlock spindle.

      (Please donate if you can for the hurricane folks)

      Larry
      AF4LH
    • Dave J
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
        and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
        loaded pin.

        My thought is either to make a locking pin storage hole in
        the control box -- with a sense switch -- or add a sense
        switch to detect when the locking pin is locking the spindle.

        The storage hole idea would parallel an appropriate lathe
        addition for the chuck key.

        --- "idmason60" <kd4dnb1@w...> wrote:
        > Hi Folks
        >
        > I was reading where several gear crash failures of the
        > mill were caused by leaving spindle locking pin in spindle
        > and starting up the mill. I know that several mods have
        > posted that can be preformed on the mill but here is one
        > for the pin that takes just a minute and cost practically
        > nothing.
        >
        > This idea may have been posted on this or other sites I
        > just haven't seen it.
        >
        > I used a drill bit depth stop with set screw and a spring
        > that fits a little tight on the locking pin but would still
        > spring out and not fall off.
        > You push the pin in and lock spindle and when your hand is
        > off the pin and it will pop back out and safely unlock
        > spindle.
        >
        > (Please donate if you can for the hurricane folks)
        >
        > Larry
        > AF4LH
      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Out of curiousity, what are you doing that requires a hand on the spindle while
          tightening the collet? I have one hand on the wrench, the other on the spindle
          lock pin I made per LMS design
          (http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/SpindlePin.php), and that tends to do it.

          I have found, though, that with enough tension on the wrench I can hold the
          spindle pin in without holding it - pops out about a foot when released... @:-)

          Graciously,
          Jim
          Lakewood, CA
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

          Dave J wrote:
          > I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
          > and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
          > loaded pin.
        • lecodtl
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            My really cheap solution to starting the spindle with the locking pin
            in place is to place the cover for the drawbar on top of the
            workpiece when I get ready to insert the locking pin. When I get
            done with the wrench and locking pin, I set them down, see the
            drawbar cover on the workpiece, check that I really removed the
            locking pin, put on the cover, and turn on the power.

            Dean

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:
            > I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
            > and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
            > loaded pin.
            >
            > My thought is either to make a locking pin storage hole in
            > the control box -- with a sense switch -- or add a sense
            > switch to detect when the locking pin is locking the spindle.
            >
            > The storage hole idea would parallel an appropriate lathe
            > addition for the chuck key.

          • dayap1
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              Ah! but, this solution relies on the brain being functional:-)
              I do like the interlocking switch

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "lecodtl" <nospam@b...> wrote:
              > My really cheap solution to starting the spindle with the locking
              pin
              > in place is to place the cover for the drawbar on top of the
              > workpiece when I get ready to insert the locking pin. When I get
              > done with the wrench and locking pin, I set them down, see the
              > drawbar cover on the workpiece, check that I really removed the
              > locking pin, put on the cover, and turn on the power.
              >
              > Dean
              >

              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...>
              wrote:
              > > I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
              > > and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
              > > loaded pin.
              > >
              > > My thought is either to make a locking pin storage hole in
              > > the control box -- with a sense switch -- or add a sense
              > > switch to detect when the locking pin is locking the spindle.
              > >
              > > The storage hole idea would parallel an appropriate lathe
              > > addition for the chuck key.

            • Dave J
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                Ok, I suppose you're saying that hand-tightening the drawbar
                is enough to trust that the bit won't fall out, which then
                frees up a hand to hold the locking pin, but I'd prefer to
                keep my hand on the bit, and when loosening I never know for
                certain when the bit might fall out. I suppose a wooden box
                might be used to catch falling bits, but I'd hate to give
                that much priority to holding the silly locking pin.

                --- "Jim E." <jim0000@a...> wrote:
                > Out of curiousity, what are you doing that requires a hand
                > on the spindle while tightening the collet? I have one hand
                > on the wrench, the other on the spindle lock pin I made per
                > LMS design
                > (http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/SpindlePin.php), and
                > that tends to do it.
                >
                > I have found, though, that with enough tension on the wrench
                > I can hold the spindle pin in without holding it - pops out
                > about a foot when released... @:-)
                >
                > Graciously,
                > Jim
                > Lakewood, CA
                > All Hail Rube Goldberg!
                >
                > Dave J wrote:
                > > I want one hand on the wrench and one hand on the spindle
                > > and that does not leave me a spare hand to hold in a sping-
                > > loaded pin.
              • Robert Meade
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                  --My own solution to this locking pin problem was to replace the
                  "emergency" stop switch
                  on the side of the mill with a lever actuated microswitch arraigned
                  to be operated by the
                  locking pin when inserted in a hole. When the pin is removed the
                  mill can not be started.
                  Bob
                • Jim E.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    I can 'snug' it in tight holding the spindle with one hand and tightening the
                    bolt by hand or with a wrench. Final tightening is wrench & pin.

                    Do you have a R8 version mill? Mine is MT3 - nothing falls out just from
                    loosening the nut - some inertial 'assistance' is always required to expel the
                    cutting tool.

                    Graciously,
                    Jim
                    Lakewood, CA