Is it Tramming Time Again?

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2005
      (I think I know the answer to this question, but want input from the experts...)

      The other day I was doing a fly cut. I noted that when the table/workpiece
      moved from right to left, the cutter appeared to cut on both the forward and
      back sides of the workpiece - i.e, as the cutter came around the front/right but
      also when it returned to the back/left. If I changed direction, so the work
      went from left to right, only one cut was seen.

      Am I seeing signs that the mill needs to be re-retrammed, specifically that it's
      tilting to the left?

      {mini-mill forum folks: don't forget to use "Reply All"...}

      Graciously,
      Jim
      Lakewood, CA
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!
    • Harvey White
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2005
        On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:23:29 -0700, you wrote:

        >(I think I know the answer to this question, but want input from the experts...)
        >
        >The other day I was doing a fly cut. I noted that when the table/workpiece
        >moved from right to left, the cutter appeared to cut on both the forward and
        >back sides of the workpiece - i.e, as the cutter came around the front/right but
        >also when it returned to the back/left. If I changed direction, so the work
        >went from left to right, only one cut was seen.
        >
        >Am I seeing signs that the mill needs to be re-retrammed, specifically that it's
        >tilting to the left?

        Not trammed, but tilting as the torque varies. I'd think that the
        left most or right most gibs are not adjusted quite properly.. Since
        you are pushing from the right, the thing is tilting up (or down) and
        you are not flat only in that direction. (This depends on whether or
        not it is tilting up at the left part or the right part. )

        Harvey

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
          Hi Jim:

          Every milling machine I have ever run does that. If
          you reef down on the gibs, you will not be able to
          move the slides. What is important here? Do we care if
          it only cuts on one side of the flycutter in one
          direction and on both sides in the other direction or
          do we care that the surface is flat and of good
          finish? It is important to keep all this stuff in
          perspective. What do we need to do the job?

          Barry Young

          --- "Jim E." <jim0000@...> wrote:

          > (I think I know the answer to this question, but
          > want input from the experts...)
          >
          > The other day I was doing a fly cut. I noted that
          > when the table/workpiece
          > moved from right to left, the cutter appeared to cut
          > on both the forward and
          > back sides of the workpiece - i.e, as the cutter
          > came around the front/right but
          > also when it returned to the back/left. If I
          > changed direction, so the work
          > went from left to right, only one cut was seen.
          >
          > Am I seeing signs that the mill needs to be
          > re-retrammed, specifically that it's
          > tilting to the left?
          >
          > {mini-mill forum folks: don't forget to use "Reply
          > All"...}
          >
          > Graciously,
          > Jim
          > Lakewood, CA