Feed rate for larger diameter cutters

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2005
      Hi,

      I have been getting by with my power feed after cleaning it up, but I
      am only using small (less than 1/2") end mills. The spindle rpms have
      been around 1000 but I am expecting to get my fly cutter any day now
      and was thinking about the feed rates on the power feed. All cutting
      so far has been at the max power feed rate of 12"/min.

      I figured a 1.5" fly cutter will probably turn about 500 rpm or so
      (cutting aluminum and brass now at about 200 sfpm). My power feed still
      only works well on max speed which is supposed to be 12 inches/min. If
      my calculations are correct, that means the cutter is advancing .024"
      per revolution (12"/min / 500 rev/min). That seems like a lot to get
      any kind of a good finish.

      What do I need to do to get good surface finish with a larger diameter
      cutter? Do I need to get the power feed to work at lower rates? Can I
      run much higher spindle speeds? I would appreciate any suggestions.
    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2005
        With AL & brass, you can use greater speeds rpms. Brush on some cutting fluid
        before each pass.

        I recently used my power feed in squaring off a rectangular block of steel. I
        used a flycutter for the final cut. I set a ~.003" DOC and turned down the feed
        to as low as it would go, putting a layer of black cutting fluid on the piece
        before cutting. I'm happy with the results.

        In other words, yes, you need to get that feed rate reduced if you're going to
        achieve a smooth finish. The alternative would be to do the feed by hand,
        trying to be as slow and steady as possible.

        Graciously,
        Jim
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!