Taking out the gears

  • dfoggal
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4 6:23 AM
      I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would like to take the
      gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to remove them. Is there
      information posted somewhere that could help? Thanks.
    • Harvey White
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4 10:04 AM
        On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:23:39 -0000, you wrote:

        >I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would like to take the
        >gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to remove them. Is there
        >information posted somewhere that could help? Thanks.

        You should not have to deburr them at all. However, if you feel that
        you must, you might check to see what www.littlemachineshop.com has in
        the way of technical information, specifically their spindle change
        kits, which involve a lot of disassembling of the gears.

        Also you might want to check out www.mini-mill.com , which is a
        companion site to www.mini-lathe.com .

        When you do put the thing back together, make absolutely sure that the
        fork does not press against the gearing, if it does, then the gears
        will heat, deform, and create a mess.

        Harvey

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Don Fogg
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4 10:54 AM

          I couldn't find anything on Littlemachineshop, but
          will check mini-lathe. The reason I wanted to get it
          out is that it sounds really noisy when it is running.

          Someone recommended deburring, but maybe I should be
          content with good grease. I appreciate your help.

          Don

          --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:23:39 -0000, you wrote:
          >
          > >I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would
          > like to take the
          > >gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to
          > remove them. Is there
          > >information posted somewhere that could help?
          > Thanks.
          >
          > You should not have to deburr them at all. However,
          > if you feel that
          > you must, you might check to see what
          > www.littlemachineshop.com has in
          > the way of technical information, specifically their
          > spindle change
          > kits, which involve a lot of disassembling of the
          > gears.
          >
          > Also you might want to check out www.mini-mill.com
          > , which is a
          > companion site to www.mini-lathe.com .
          >
          > When you do put the thing back together, make
          > absolutely sure that the
          > fork does not press against the gearing, if it does,
          > then the gears
          > will heat, deform, and create a mess.
          >
          > Harvey
          >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
        • Chris Wood
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4 11:07 AM
            Don:

            Look here:
            http://littlemachineshop.com/Instructions/R8%20Spindle%20Kit.pdf

            The first thing to try is to loosen the four bolts that hold the motor
            mount. They are around the top of the spindle. Then turn the mill on and
            move the motor to the quietest position. Retighten the bolts. This can make
            a big difference.

            Regards,
            Chris Wood
            LittleMachineShop.com
            The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
            396 W. Washington Blvd. #500, Pasadena, CA 91103
            (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)797-7934

            --- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:23:39 -0000, you wrote:
            >
            > >I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would
            > like to take the
            > >gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to
            > remove them. Is there
            > >information posted somewhere that could help?
            > Thanks.
            >
            > You should not have to deburr them at all. However, if you feel that
            > you must, you might check to see what www.littlemachineshop.com has in
            > the way of technical information, specifically their spindle change
            > kits, which involve a lot of disassembling of the gears.
            >
            > Also you might want to check out www.mini-mill.com , which is a
            > companion site to www.mini-lathe.com .
            >
            > When you do put the thing back together, make absolutely sure that the
            > fork does not press against the gearing, if it does, then the gears
            > will heat, deform, and create a mess.
            >
            > Harvey
            >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim E.
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4 1:06 PM
              Look in the Files area for "grizzly mini-mill.html"

              Graciously,
              Jim
              Lakewood, CA
              All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4 1:33 PM
                On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:54:29 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                >Thanks,
                >
                >I couldn't find anything on Littlemachineshop, but
                >will check mini-lathe. The reason I wanted to get it
                >out is that it sounds really noisy when it is running.

                Little machine shop might be able to give you a copy of the
                instructions that come with their R8 spindle kit. It might have
                enough to help you.

                I found it easy enough to take the thing apart, and get it back
                together. The misapplied fork melted the gears enough that the mill
                would not change speeds at all.

                >Someone recommended deburring, but maybe I should be
                >content with good grease. I appreciate your help.

                I don't think that deburring will help, since you may find most of the
                noise is motor/upper gears related. I would take the motor plate off,
                and check for swarf, not that it will be a factor in the noise, but
                because some have seen it.

                For the gears, some have used a kind of Teflon lube (someone please
                mention what kind) that's rather expensive, but does well on plastics.
                I'd consider both the change gears and the drive/driven reduction
                gear.

                You will also find that shifting the motor plate a bit can change the
                noise level.

                Harvey

                >Don
                >
                >--- Harvey White <madyn@...> wrote:
                >> On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:23:39 -0000, you wrote:
                >>
                >> >I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would
                >> like to take the
                >> >gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to
                >> remove them. Is there
                >> >information posted somewhere that could help?
                >> Thanks.
                >>
                >> You should not have to deburr them at all. However,
                >> if you feel that
                >> you must, you might check to see what
                >> www.littlemachineshop.com has in
                >> the way of technical information, specifically their
                >> spindle change
                >> kits, which involve a lot of disassembling of the
                >> gears.
                >>
                >> Also you might want to check out www.mini-mill.com
                >> , which is a
                >> companion site to www.mini-lathe.com .
                >>
                >> When you do put the thing back together, make
                >> absolutely sure that the
                >> fork does not press against the gearing, if it does,
                >> then the gears
                >> will heat, deform, and create a mess.
                >>
                >> Harvey
                >>

                >> >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Don Fogg
                Message 7 of 12 , May 4 2:10 PM
                  Thanks everyone, that has been a big help. I really
                  appreciate it. I received my collet set from Little
                  Machine Shop this afternoon and actually got to mill
                  something. This little tool is going to make my life
                  simpler. I am a custom knifemaker so if you are in
                  need of heat treating information or blacksmithing,
                  forge building, whatever let me know.
                  www.dfoggknives.com

                  Thanks,

                  Don

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • mitchell
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 14 4:13 AM
                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dfoggal" <dfoggal@y...> wrote:
                    > I just got the Harbor Freight Mini Mill and I would like to take the
                    > gears out and debur them, but am not sure how to remove them. Is there
                    > information posted somewhere that could help? Thanks.

                    Deburring the gears would be a waist of time . The noise is mostly the
                    upper gearing . High speed motor with alot of gear reduction causes
                    alot of noise . Best bet is convert upper gearing to belt drive . That
                    is what is planed for my machine . If you have a mini lathe you will
                    notice that it is much less noise . It is a belt drive as apposed to
                    the the gear reduction the mill uses . It would probably be possable
                    to just use the belt and gears for the lathe and a new motor mount on
                    the mill . That is what I will try with my mill.
                  • ...Mike...
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 17 8:14 AM
                      I just got my power feed and control board back from Rabid and they look great.
                      The power feed works like a charm and the mill board should work well, but I need some info.

                      Can someone PLEASE look on their board and tell me where to connect the red, green and yellow little wires.

                      All you need to do is take off the back cover and look at your controller board.
                      The three wires are attached to screw posts on the right bottom of the board.

                      Please let me know .... I really want to get my Griz mini mill going again.

                      Thanks!
                      ... Mike ...
                    • Jim RabidWolf
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17 8:21 AM
                        Mike - I checked mine - EVERYTHING is blue.

                        Look in the control box, where the switches and pot are, we can back track from there. Second question is what terminals do you have open?

                        Rabid
                        Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
                        We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
                          For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
                        "Just Crazy Enough To Get the Job Done"

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 17 10:16 AM
                          Hello Jim .....
                          The wires on the top are labeled 1 to 7, they are all blue.

                          On my Grizzly Mini Mill there are three smaller wires that connect to the smaller "terminals" on the bottom right edge of the board. As far as open terminals, there are four in this area, only three attach to the wires.

                          I have included a picture, maybe that will help explain it.

                          Thanks!
                          ... Mike ...

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 17 10:30 AM
                            Mike - those go to the pot! You can trace these back to the pot and looking at the pot from the back side, with the terminals down the left one goes to P1, the middle to P2 and the right one to P3.

                            Sorry for the mix up.