Cheap DRO where to buy?

  • kiko_pabs
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hi there guys, I've been wanting to buy a cheap DRO for my Mini-mill
      and the one from Littlemachine is not in stock. Item# 2010. Is there
      any other place that have this DRO? Lastly I am also looking for a
      vertical scale for my Z-axis. Thanks a bunch guys.
    • HLahantubbe
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
        As much as it irks me to say so, MicroMark also stocks this item.

        Rabid
        We repair the Electronic Speed Controllers
        for the Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
        "Just Crazy Enough To Get The Job Done"

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005

          I think you are thinking of the DRO's for the Lathe, not the Mill.

          Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
            Look around e-bay and also try
            http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

            Regards,
            Kevin Jones
            Louisville, KY
          • HLahantubbe
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
              Nope: the lathe

              Rabid
              Uncle Rabid (http://www.unclerabid.com)
              We Repair Electronic Speed Controllers
                For Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005

                OK, let me try this again. The original poster wanted DRO's for a mini-mill. Micro-mark does not carry DRO's for the mill.

                Nope: the lathe
                http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83039

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                  DUH! Rabid DAINBRAMAGED, go sit in corner, now...

                  I'll be in the dark corner, sucking my thumb and beating my head against the wall if somebody wants something <G>

                  (Thanks, Kevin, I'm an IDIOT today)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                      Best deal going on a low-cost DRO is the DRO-350 from Shumatech:
                      www.shumatech.com
                      It supports both the cheap chinese scales, and real quadrature
                      scales and encoders. Supports lathes and mills, and can be built
                      from readily available parts for all of about $90US. There's also a
                      Shumatech Yahoo group, if you have any questions. This thing
                      provides *far* more functionality than any competing product. It's
                      a lot more than a simple DRO.

                      Regards,
                      Ray L.

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kiko_pabs" <isko129@e...>

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston"
                        <jagboy1964@h...> wrote:

                        > Best deal going on a low-cost DRO is the DRO-350 from Shumatech:
                        > www.shumatech.com
                        > It supports both the cheap chinese scales, and real quadrature
                        > scales and encoders. Supports lathes and mills, and can be built
                        > from readily available parts for all of about $90US. There's also
                        > Shumatech Yahoo group, if you have any questions. This thing
                        > provides *far* more functionality than any competing product. It's
                        > a lot more than a simple DRO.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Ray L.

                        Thanks for all the response guys. The DRO is for my mini-mill and I
                        already checked www.shumatech.com and it is very informative. But my
                        only problem is I am not electronically inclined and I dont know if
                        I'll be able to build one of the shumatechs. Again thanks and I realy
                        appreciate it.
                      • ...Mike...
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                          The reference to the one on eBay would work the best for you.
                          For about $300 you get a nice display unit, the three scales and hook up parts.
                          Many member here and on other groups have built and installed DROs based on the Chinese scales.
                          From what I read, the eBay seller kit also includes methods to attach the display and scales.
                          It seems the engineering, design and machining of the parts to connect and protect the scales when you put them on a mini mill could almost make a group by itself.
                          Look over the multiple pictures and figure out what works best for you.
                          That can range from:
                          - Do you want to fully protect the scales - (how messy will your mill work be)
                          - Do you have clear space behind your mill - (Some installs have the Y axis scale move back with the table)
                          - What are you comfortable with.
                          Since there is no "official way" to mount them you are blessed with working out what will work our best for you, but also cursed to research and figure that out yourself.
                          But then ... that's always been the challenge of the mini mill.
                          Good luck.
                          ... Mike ...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                            Mike,
                            "Do you want to fully protect the scales" - There is only one
                            answer to that question: YES! If you don't, they will not last very
                            long at all.

                            Regards,
                            Ray L.

                            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "...Mike..." <jpmg_tlh@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > The reference to the one on eBay would work the best for you.
                            > For about $300 you get a nice display unit, the three scales and
                            hook up
                            > parts.
                            > Many member here and on other groups have built and installed DROs
                            based on
                            > the Chinese scales.
                            > From what I read, the eBay seller kit also includes methods to
                            attach the
                            > display and scales.
                            > It seems the engineering, design and machining of the parts to
                            connect and
                            > protect the scales when you put them on a mini mill could almost
                            make a
                            > group by itself.
                            > Look over the multiple pictures and figure out what works best for
                            you.
                            > That can range from:
                            > - Do you want to fully protect the scales - (how messy will your
                            mill work
                            > be)
                            > - Do you have clear space behind your mill - (Some installs have
                            the Y axis
                            > scale move back with the table)
                            > - What are you comfortable with.
                            > Since there is no "official way" to mount them you are blessed
                            with working
                            > out what will work our best for you, but also cursed to research
                            and figure
                            > that out yourself.
                            > But then ... that's always been the challenge of the mini mill.
                            > Good luck.
                            > ... Mike ...
                          • ...Mike...
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                              I hear you about protecting the scale .... but really to what extent?
                              I have seen some installs where there was a ledge above the slide and head, others where is was sort of wrapped in a tarp, and others that had a fitted plastic tube around it.  Obviously you don't want to have it get damaged or covered in chips and lube, but the level of solution is up to you.
                              I mean, you can travel in a dumpster or a dragster, each is good for a specific need.
                              But yes .... protect the slide :)
                              Cheers!

                              wrote:
                              > The reference to the one
                              on eBay would work the best for you.
                              > For about $300 you get a nice
                              display unit, the three scales and
                              hook up
                              > parts.
                              > Many
                              member here and on other groups have built and installed DROs
                              based on
                              > the Chinese scales.
                              > From what I read, the eBay seller kit
                              also includes methods to
                              attach the
                              > display and scales.
                              > It
                              seems the engineering, design and machining of the parts to
                              connect and
                              > protect the scales when you put them on a mini mill could almost
                              make a
                              > group by itself.
                              > Look over the multiple pictures and
                              figure out what works best for
                              you.
                              > That can range from:
                              > -
                              Do you want to fully protect the scales - (how messy will your
                              mill work
                              > be)
                              > - Do you have clear space behind your mill - (Some
                              installs have
                              the Y axis
                              > scale move back with the table)
                              > -
                              What are you comfortable with.
                              > Since there is no "official way" to mount
                              them you are blessed
                              with working
                              > out what will work our best for
                              you, but also cursed to research
                              and figure
                              > that out
                              yourself.
                              > But then ... that's always been the challenge of the mini
                              mill.
                              > Good luck.
                              > ... Mike ...

                            • Chris Baugher
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                                On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, kiko_pabs wrote:

                                > Thanks for all the response guys. The DRO is for my mini-mill and I
                                > already checked www.shumatech.com and it is very informative. But my
                                > only problem is I am not electronically inclined and I dont know if
                                > I'll be able to build one of the shumatechs. Again thanks and I realy
                                > appreciate it.

                                Maybe check with the Shumatech guy and see if he knows of someone that
                                will assemble one for you?