Clean up new machine

  • TGX.TRF
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      Clean up new machine

      Hello all,

      Just got my new HF mini mill last weekend, I am a happy guy :)

      Wanna know how you guys clean up all that packaging grease ? Do you actually tear the machine apart, strip to bare bone and clean them first ? Or do you just clean the surface and leave everything un-reachable as is ? How detail do you wanna get ?

      Joe

    • kiko_pabs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
        Yes I did disassemble it except the column from the base.
      • Jake Dempsey
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Clean up new machine

          Tear it down (meaning take the bed off, the back unbolts, and just get the major components loose, you don’t have to break down the motor or anything… But I just cleaned mine real good with wd-40 and then re-lubed it with lithium grease. Works like a charm, except for those doggone little tension thingys that stripped out the first day.

          Jake Dempsey

          Director of Sales

          Rose Technologies

          (425) 637-2344 xt. 103

          (425) 637-8655 (fax)

          www.rosetechnologies.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
            Clean up new machine
            Personally, I use solvent mineral spirits to remove the red "cosmoline" grease from the equipment. I have ceased using lithium on the plastic parts and am using Teflon Lube Gel (you can get it at Radio Shack). It quiets the headstock down immensely.

            I use lithium on the dovetails, oil on the ways and lead screw (Mobil 1 synthetic).

            Rabid
            We repair the Electronic Speed Controllers
            for the Asian Mini Lathes and Mini Mills
            "Just Crazy Enough To Get The Job Done"