Re: [GrizHFMinimill] How big of a drill for the grizz

  • Harvey White
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:52:09 -0000, you wrote:

      >it says up to half inch but if i got reduced shank drills could i
      >still do that or whats the deal with that

      Yes, but....

      You can use silver and deming drills. I've got a set up to an inch.
      You can drill with the mini-mill, but you have to feed very slowly,
      and not put too much pressure on the mill. Otherwise, the overload
      trips in.

      So yes, you can, and no, it's not the best thing in the world.

      Harvey

    • dswr@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        If I need to bore a hole larger than 1/2 inch, and the work piece will
        not mount in my lathe... I drill a 1/2 inch starter hole with the work
        piece mounted on the mill. Then I enlarge the hole, using a boring head.
        (homemade, i might add) 8-)

        Leo (pearland, tx)
      • jacoby01
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          I'm in the midst of a similar project - I've got to bore a 1 3/8"
          hole in a piece of 1/2" Aluminum. Question: If I start out with a
          1/2" hole, how heavy a cut can I take with a boring head? I've got
          an R8 shank boring head that takes 1/2" diameter boring bars - I
          haven't used this setup yet. Again, how heavy a cut can I take?
          Any suggestions on head speed (high range or low range?). And, I'm
          assuming that I should feed with the micro feed - Is this correct?

          The material is 6061 Aluminum.
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:31:26 -0000, you wrote:

            >I'm in the midst of a similar project - I've got to bore a 1 3/8"
            >hole in a piece of 1/2" Aluminum. Question: If I start out with a
            >1/2" hole, how heavy a cut can I take with a boring head?

            I take about 0.025 or so at the max, with a slow feed, you do not need
            to use the microfeed, but you do need to develop a feel for it. This
            will work for holes from about 0.500 to 0.800 in diameter, but past
            that, you will want to start taking off 0.010 at the max. It's a
            matter of how much load you want to put on the boring head.

            Your best bet would be to try to drill as much as possible. Do not do
            the trick of drilling holes around the circle, you will have an
            interrupted cut, which will put a lot of stress on the machine.

            >I've got
            >an R8 shank boring head that takes 1/2" diameter boring bars - I
            >haven't used this setup yet. Again, how heavy a cut can I take?
            >Any suggestions on head speed (high range or low range?). And, I'm
            >assuming that I should feed with the micro feed - Is this correct?

            Low range, about 10 to 11 o'clock on my mill. The limiting factor
            will be the depth of cut, and the amount of shake you get because you
            are swinging an off balance load.

            Tighten the Z axis gibs to reduce shake as needed, but you'll still
            need to feed slowly. The X and Y table motion must be locked.

            Harvey

            >The material is 6061 Aluminum.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jacoby01
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
              Thanks Harvey! This is exactly what I was looking for, I'll let you
              know how I make out. I might cheat a little and start out with a
              hole saw to get me close - I'll have to see what I've got on hand at
              the shop, and if the hole saw will handle the job. Again, thanks
              for the speed and feed information. Bob