Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Milling vices

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
      Oh man do I have vices, but not the kind to use on a mill. But in putting work in any vice on your mill use the old timers stunt of tighten the vice medium tight (don't know any other way to describe it.) Then whack the work down into the vice jaws against the spacer or parallels then finish tighten the vice. I have a plastic faced hammer for this job.
      The reason is most vices will tend to lift the work piece as the moveable jaw is forced into the holding position and that can raise your work a bit.

      John Meacham
      in the high desert of California
      12 inch Atlas, Minimill, HF bandsaw
      rusty file
    • Rick Kruger
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2004
        Interesting that you should mention that. Its a long
        standing trick, and I still do it when using friend's
        or my dad's full sized mills and real Kurt vises. But
        I've nearly forgotten about it when using the
        screwless vise on my minimill. Or at least use it
        lots less frequently, enough that about the only thing
        the dead blow hammer is used for at the minimill is
        knocking out the drawbar.

        Rick

        --- catboat15@... wrote:

        > Oh man do I have vices, but not the kind to use on a
        > mill. But in putting
        > work in any vice on your mill use the old timers
        > stunt of tighten the vice
        > medium tight (don't know any other way to describe
        > it.) Then whack the work down
        > into the vice jaws against the spacer or parallels
        > then finish tighten the
        > vice. I have a plastic faced hammer for this job.
        > The reason is most vices will tend to lift the work
        > piece as the moveable
        > jaw is forced into the holding position and that can
        > raise your work a bit.
        >
        > John Meacham
        > in the high desert of California
        > 12 inch Atlas, Minimill, HF bandsaw
        > rusty file

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
          I've never tried it, but I've heard something about using drill rod on
          the moveable side, between the side and the work. Supposedly, if the
          jaw lifts, the counter-rotational of the rod pushes the work down.

          Graciously,
          Jim
          Lakewood, CA
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

          catboat15@... wrote:

          > Oh man do I have vices, but not the kind to use on a mill. But in
          > putting work in any vice on your mill use the old timers stunt of
          > tighten the vice medium tight (don't know any other way to describe it.)
          > Then whack the work down into the vice jaws against the spacer or
          > parallels then finish tighten the vice. I have a plastic faced
          > hammer for this job.
          > The reason is most vices will tend to lift the work piece as the
          > moveable jaw is forced into the holding position and that can raise your
          > work a bit.
          >
          > John Meacham
          > in the high desert of California
          > 12 inch Atlas, Minimill, HF bandsaw
          > rusty file
        • Rex Bosse
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
            I just saw this a couple of nights ago.
            http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/mill_squaring.html#4
            Go down the page to #4, and view the movie below the
            paragraph that starts with, "Use a bolster bar...."

            By the way, this entire site is useful for basic
            machining tips and setup.

            Rex

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/RUTolB/TM

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo