Re: Replacing speed change gear... shaft removal?

  • cyberace10242003
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2004
      The shaft and bearings are a light press fit with the housing. You
      need to make some simple tools(or use a brass hammer/block of wood.
      It can be done, but there's a fair risk of ruining your bearings).
      There are some pretty good instructions on www.littlemachineshop.com,
      where you can also buy replacement parts. Search for "R8 Spindle Kit"
      and click on "complete instructions" at the lower right hand side of
      the page.

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, jeff@a... wrote:

      > So I busted the speed change gear (the one that goes up and down
      with the
      > speed change) on an R8 mini mill...
      >
      > I figure I need to remove the shaft that the speed change gear goes
      on in
      > order to replace it.
      >
      > I've got the top plate/motor mount off, and removed the phillips
      head
      > screw holding a washer in place at the top of the shaft, but the
      shaft
      > doesn't want to drop. Am I missing something?
      >
      > Anyone got some pointers? I searched the archive but didn't find
      > anything.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -Jeff
    • cyberace10242003
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 21, 2004
        To change the speed change gear you pretty much have to take the
        spindle out. The spindle shaft is a light press fit with the shaft
        and bearings. You can make some simple tools that make pressing it
        apart much easier. There are some excellent instructions
        on "littlemachineshop.com". Search for "R8 Spindle Kit".

        I tried to post yesterday but it never showed up. Perhaps I broke a
        rule?

        Good luck.
        Steve

      • jeff@antistatic.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2004
          (answering my own question so it's in the archives)

          I just needed to tap the top of the shaft gently with a soft hammer to get
          it to drop out.

          Some tips: Keep the crank part on the vertical ways... (use the stop to
          keep it high up) but take the electrical box off the head and the head off
          the crank part.

          -Jeff

          On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 jeff@... wrote:

          > So I busted the speed change gear (the one that goes up and down with the
          > speed change) on an R8 mini mill...
          >
          > I figure I need to remove the shaft that the speed change gear goes on in
          > order to replace it.
          >
          > I've got the top plate/motor mount off, and removed the phillips head
          > screw holding a washer in place at the top of the shaft, but the shaft
          > doesn't want to drop. Am I missing something?
          >
          > Anyone got some pointers? I searched the archive but didn't find
          > anything.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -Jeff
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • REBEL
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
            Jeff,don't ya just love getting responses after you figure it out
            yourself and post an answer telling how you did it.

            GB
            Billy Reb
          • cyberace10242003
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 25, 2004
              Yeah ... well ... sorry about that. I actually posted a couple of
              days before his last message came through but the post never came
              up. Probably, I'm guessing, I hadn't posted to this group before and
              it took a while to be "vetted". Anyway, I'll try not to embarrass
              myself again.

              --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "REBEL" <bill_collins14@y...>
              wrote:

              > Jeff,don't ya just love getting responses after you figure it out
              > yourself and post an answer telling how you did it.
              >
              > GB
              > Billy Reb
            • REBEL
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2004
                Well guess I should have taken into consideration that Yahoo gets
                hickups and the messages don't always get posted.

                My apologies!!

                GB
                Billy reb
              • Cletus L. Berkeley
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 23, 2005
                  Folks:
                  Here we are again at that time of year when spouses are busy trying to
                  maneuver, gift-wrap and hide 1000lb lathes and milling machines, band
                  saws and drill presses (trust me, they don't fit well in stockings and
                  all hell breaks loose when they are dropped down chimneys) <LOL>.
                  While all this laborious and feverish activity is ensuing, let me take
                  this opportunity to wish all of you a very Merry and Holy Christmas
                  and to thank each and every one of you for contributing to the success
                  of this group. I look forward, as always to reading your posts and
                  trust that we will all enjoy the Festive Season and welcome the New Year.
                  Season's Greetings, Cletus
                • nyceacres200
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                    --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cletus L. Berkeley"
                    <cberkeley@y...> wrote:

                    > Folks:
                    > Here we are again at that time of year when spouses are busy trying to
                    > maneuver, gift-wrap and hide 1000lb lathes and milling machines, band
                    > saws and drill presses (trust me, they don't fit well in stockings and
                    > all hell breaks loose when they are dropped down chimneys) <LOL>.
                    > While all this laborious and feverish activity is ensuing, let me take
                    > this opportunity to wish all of you a very Merry and Holy Christmas
                    > and to thank each and every one of you for contributing to the success
                    > of this group. I look forward, as always to reading your posts and
                    > trust that we will all enjoy the Festive Season and welcome the New
                    Year.
                    > Season's Greetings, Cletus

                    Thanks Cletus, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours! And a
                    very merry and safe whatever you celebrate to all in this fine group!

                    Thanks "Jim"
                  • chippiejnr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 24, 2005
                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "nyceacres200"
                      <nyceacres200@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Cletus L. Berkeley"
                      > <cberkeley@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > Folks:

                      > Season's Greetings, Cletus

                      > Thanks Cletus, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours! And a
                      > very merry and safe whatever you celebrate to all in this fine group!
                      >
                      > Thanks "Jim"

                      Season's greetings to all and wishing you a propserous new year...

                      regards,

                      Chip