Re: [GrizHFMinimill] 16 TPI leadscrews are a pain, but....

  • dswr@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
      I have a dial travel (1") indicator mounted on my Mini-mill to indicate
      the z axis travel. A measuring surface is mounted on a magnetic base
      adjustable holder. (i have a 1/8" steel plate between the base of the
      mill and the table. i also have several riser blocks between the mill
      base and table, so the y handwheel can be turned easily.)

      I find that a complete rotation of the dial on the fine feed results in
      a travel of ~ 0.058". For some reason this reading is not consistent but
      varies +/- around 0.001". (most likely by errors in the rack, gears,
      etc.)

      I have just mounted 6" DRO calipers on the x and z axis. The x axis of
      9.250" is covered in 2 steps by an adjustable mounting. (this is easy,
      because of the relative readings {zero set anywhere})

      Before, I used a little computer program to determine the turns,
      divisions for the 16tpi leadscrews.

      The best solution to the 1/16" per turn screws are to replace them with
      Micro Marks 10 tpi screws. They supply them with proper dials. (saving
      my spare bucks to buy some)

      Leo (pearland, tx)