what would be needed to cut out a hex shape ?

  • tyranorbis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
      i plan on making custom rims for my r/c monster truck
      what would be needed to cut out a small hex shape inside the rim

      im thinking rotary table endmills of various sizes
    • Ken Strauss
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
        Wouldn't that result in a hexagon with rounded vertices?

      • Jerry S.
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
          \
          Not if it is a male hex like a spindle nut.
          Jerry S.
          Hell, MI
          Wouldn't that result in a hexagon with rounded vertices?

        • Ken Strauss
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004

            I assumed that “inside the rim” meant an interior hole but…

            I have cut nut shapes using both a rotary table and a spin index depending on the size required.

            Not if it is a male hex like a spindle nut.

            Jerry S.

            Hell, MI

            Wouldn't that result in a hexagon with rounded vertices?

          • Cletus L. Berkeley
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
              I can only think of Waterjet, EDM.
              Maybe if it's Aluminum, you may be able to fashion a
              tapered hex steel broach using your mill and rotary
              table and press this through a hole that has been pre
              drilled in the rim using a drill press.
              Hope this has sparked some ideas.
              Cheers, Cletus
              --- Ken Strauss <ken.strauss@...> wrote:

              > Wouldn't that result in a hexagon with rounded
              > vertices?

            • German Bravo
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
                Hi Tyranorbis,

                In "The Home Shop Machinist", magazine number Sep/oct 1992, page 36,
                I read an article about "Make your own Socket Head Fasteners with
                the Brinkerhoff Rotary Broach".

                It is a special tool for making squares, hexagonal or any shape
                holes.

                Regards,

                German

                --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "tyranorbis"

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "German Bravo" <factor@f...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Tyranorbis,
                  >
                  > In "The Home Shop Machinist", magazine number Sep/oct 1992, page
                  36,
                  > I read an article about "Make your own Socket Head Fasteners with
                  > the Brinkerhoff Rotary Broach".
                  >
                  > It is a special tool for making squares, hexagonal or any shape
                  > holes.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > German

                  ill have to order that one thanks for all the replys