Re: First removal of end mill holder - so how tight is tight?

  • REBEL
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2004
      "I've been considering building a spring loaded pin that stays in
      place
      on on the machine".

      Greg,this is the first mod I did to my 8689 and haven't regretted it
      at all.Works much nicer than always searching for the tommy bar to
      insert in the hole.

      Check out Steve Bedairs and a few other users sites for the mod,very
      simple to do.

      GB
      Bill C.
    • Alan Dawes
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gregas@c...> wrote:
        > Jim E. wrote:
        >
        > >Being a veteran mini-mill owner, I can attest to the truth of both
        your
        > >statements. In fact, I made the LMS spindle lock pin
        > >http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Projects/SpindlePin.php to ensure
        the
        > >latter never happens again.
        > >

        > Lucky me...I screwed up and left the pin in for the first time last

        > night. No broken gears, just a loud hum and a frantic grab for the
        panic
        > button.

        Been there, done that! I immediately attached a long piece of thread
        under the screw on the handle of the 'pin' with a bit of plastic
        sprue tied to the other end of the thread. Now when I use the 'pin'
        the dangling thread reminds me to jam the plastic sprue in the
        surround of the emergency stop button so I cann't turn on the mill
        without remembering to remove the sprue and the 'pin'.

        Alan
      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
          Got a pic you can share? This sounds interesting.

          Graciously,
          Jim
          Lakewood, CA
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!