Re: HF versus Grizzly question.

  • mathprof53575
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
      I have generally been happy with Grizzly stuff, and was leaning that
      way. But I also realized that the little mini-mill might well be a
      first step into milling machines that would lead me later to get a
      bigger one, and R8 is very much the standard there. So I went with
      HF, and I have been very happy with the results. And I do drool over
      bigger machines in catalogs, so I may well move up and then all the
      tooling I have bought (which soon is much more of an investment than
      the mill!) will still be useful.
      Bob Wilson
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "pdiscoe" <pdiscoe@c...> wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I'm about ready to jump into buying a mini mill and glad to have
      > found this forum. Looking at the HF or Grizzly, the question I have
      > is among experienced users which is preferred a R8 taper or 3M
      taper?
      > I'm leaning towards the Grizzly at this point. I live in Seattle
      and
      > have seen both first hand. Is the spindle choice just a moot point
      > once I get an appropriate set of collets?
      >
      > Also, what do you guys and gals primarily do with your mills? I'm a
      > woodworker by profession and intend to re-fabricate some shop made
      > tools and equipment customizations that I crudely made with
      hacksaws
      > and files (like planes, band saw guides, etc.). Once I get
      > proficient, I'd like to add a mini lathe for making custom cabinet
      > fixtures for some of my commissions. I'm just curious as I see a
      lot
      > of model makers on the web using mini mills. Do any of you make
      > tooling as well?
      >
      > Thanks all. Also, any general comments between these two mills
      would
      > be appreciated.
      >
      > -Peter
    • Jim Izzolo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
        Hi,
        I was wondering,  if a person was dead set on getting a Grizzly Mini mill could you buy a adapter that went from MT3 to R8.  This would then allow you to use all the "stuff"  purchased for the MT3 on the larger R8 mill.
        Jim

        mathprof53575 <wilson@...> wrote:
        I have generally been happy with Grizzly stuff, and was leaning that
        way. But I also realized that the little mini-mill might well be a
        first step into milling machines that would lead me later to get a
        bigger one, and R8 is very much the standard there. So I went with
        HF, and I have been very happy with the results. And I do drool over
        bigger machines in catalogs, so I may well move up and then all the
        tooling I have bought (which soon is much more of an investment than
        the mill!) will still be useful.
        Bob Wilson
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "pdiscoe" <pdiscoe@c...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm about ready to jump into buying a mini mill and glad to have
        > found this forum. Looking at the HF or Grizzly, the question I have
        > is among experienced users which is preferred a R8 taper or 3M
        taper?
        > I'm leaning towards the Grizzly at this point. I live in Seattle
        and
        > have seen both first hand. Is the spindle choice just a moot point
        > once I get an appropriate set of collets?
        >
        > Also, what do you guys and gals primarily do with your mills? I'm a
        > woodworker by profession and intend to re-fabricate some shop made
        > tools and equipment customizations that I crudely made with
        hacksaws
        > and files (like planes, band saw guides, etc.). Once I get
        > proficient, I'd like to add a mini lathe for making custom cabinet
        > fixtures for some of my commissions.  I'm just curious as I see a
        lot
        > of model makers on the web using mini mills. Do any of you make
        > tooling as well?
        >
        > Thanks all. Also, any general comments between these two mills
        would
        > be appreciated.
        >
        > -Peter

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • dswr@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
          Most tool bits (milling cutters) are not taper specific. The shanks of
          the bits will mount on either machine.

          Leo (pearland, tx)
        • Rick Kruger
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
            There is a spindle conversion available, from Little Machine Shop, that
            allows you to change your spindle taper from MT3 to R8. So, if you really
            want a Grizzly and R8, you can do it.

            Rick

            At 03:53 PM 6/6/04, you wrote:
            >Hi,
            >I was wondering, if a person was dead set on getting a Grizzly Mini mill
            >could you buy a adapter that went from MT3 to R8. This would then allow
            >you to use all the "stuff" purchased for the MT3 on the larger R8 mill.
            >Jim
          • nowdkyle
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2004
              Jim,
              An adapter would add too much length to the set-up. It would reduce
              the rigidity dramatically. I haven't seen an adapter from R8 to #3.
              Richard

              -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Jim Izzolo <izzolo@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I was wondering, if a person was dead set on getting a Grizzly
              Mini mill could you buy a adapter that went from MT3 to R8. This
              would then allow you to use all the "stuff" purchased for the MT3
              on the larger R8 mill.
              > Jim

            • jrollett
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2004
                Hi Jim:

                I purchased a R8 to MT3 adapter from Lathemaster on eBay (see item
                #3825026948) and have been happy with its use. I have cut gear teeth
                in 1018 steel with the gear cutter monted on a MT3 arbor inserted
                into the R8-MT3 adapter with no problems. Yes, it does add to the
                length, but is still very usable.

                Also gives me the flexibility of using both R8 & MT3 "stuff".

                Jerry

                Service.