Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Tapping on mill, was Mini Mll Mods

  • dswr@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15, 2004
      Using a drill press or a vertical mill to drill a hole and then tapping
      the hole while the relationship of the hole and the spindle center is
      fixed, is a perfect way of insuring straight threads.

      I have used this method on my drill press and my mini-mill. However, I
      don't chuck the tap. I mount the tap in a tap holder, one with a pilot
      hole on the top end. I chuck a short piece of round stock and use this
      to keep the tap aligned.

      This presents a problem on the drill press, because of the limited (4")
      of travel of the quill.

      On the mini-mill, this vertical travel was also a problem, until I
      modified the counter balance mechanism. Now, I have over 11.5" of
      travel.

      I prefer drilling on a drill press, but in some cases where I want to
      insure a hole is in the correct distance from a milled edge, then the
      mini-mill is the way to go.

      Leo (pearland, tx)
    • fromday2
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2004
        Yes, for the first couple of threads, then the tap will pull the head
        down.

        Al

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "William Kinney"
        <wkinney@c...> wrote:
        > Al
        >
        > Do you manually lower the head as the tap moves down into the
        material?

        > Bil

      • s_spur26
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 5:52 PM
          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kf2qd2000" <kf2qd@m...> wrote:
          > First mod I did to my mini mill was to move the yellow light on the
          > switch box and put a double throw/double throw switch in the motor
          > leads - forward and reverse
          >
          > Pete Cook

          I have a Homier Mill Drill and am interested in adding a reverse
          switch to it. Are you talking about the yellow light above the
          emergency switch? What are the specifications of the switch that you
          used? Are the motor leads easy to identify? Any help is appreciated.
        • s_spur26
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8 5:52 PM