comparison

  • dangerous_dave308
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9 10:05 AM
      Tell me, How does the Griz mini mill stack up against their small
      mill-drill? I feel the need to buy something.
    • Harvey White
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9 3:20 PM
        On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:05:11 -0000, you wrote:

        >Tell me, How does the Griz mini mill stack up against their small
        >mill-drill? I feel the need to buy something.

        mill drills are generally heavier, bigger work envelope.

        On the other hand, with a round column, the z travel is minimal, and
        you lose the indexing if you go beyond what the quill will do. I
        think square column would be better.

        Motor speed is belt selected, not infinitely variable, so that's
        another kettle of fish.

        Harvey
      • dangerous_dave308
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9 3:34 PM
          Thanks Harvey, I had the opertunity to visit the Grizzly outlet in
          Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. They had their "mini mill" setting
          right next to the model G0517 mill/drill. I couldnt make up my mind.
          I see your point on the Z travel thing. Still the mill/drill looked
          nice. ( wew, I have a hard time with decisions) One concern that I
          have with the mini-mill is the plastic gears. this seams to be a weak
          spot. Am I being unrealistic?.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...>

        • wkinney@cox.net
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10 6:31 AM
            An x-axis power feed is available (LMS) for the mini-mill if you want it. I use mine a lot. Is a power feed available for the drill/mill?

            Bil

            > From: "dangerous_dave308" <dangerous_dave308@...>
            > Date: 2004/05/09 Sun PM 06:34:10 EDT
            > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: comparison
            >
            > Thanks Harvey, I had the opertunity to visit the Grizzly outlet in
            > Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. They had their "mini mill" setting
            > right next to the model G0517 mill/drill. I couldnt make up my mind.
            > I see your point on the Z travel thing. Still the mill/drill looked
            > nice. ( wew, I have a hard time with decisions) One concern that I
            > have with the mini-mill is the plastic gears. this seams to be a weak
            > spot. Am I being unrealistic?.
            >

            > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...>
            > wrote:
            > > On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:05:11 -0000, you wrote:
            > >
            > > >Tell me, How does the Griz mini mill stack up against their small
            > > >mill-drill? I feel the need to buy something.
            > >
            > > mill drills are generally heavier, bigger work envelope.
            > >
            > > On the other hand, with a round column, the z travel is minimal, and
            > > you lose the indexing if you go beyond what the quill will do. I
            > > think square column would be better.
            > >
            > > Motor speed is belt selected, not infinitely variable, so that's
            > > another kettle of fish.
            > >
            > > Harvey
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jim E.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10 9:27 AM
              Having probably broken more gears than any other, I think I can safely
              say that the weakness is solely in the hands of the user. Given the
              greater versatility of the Griz mini-mill, my recommendation is to go
              with it.

              The only thing that is more attractive about the G0517 is the price. A
              free table and vice, thought, are sales come-ons to me and not things to
              consider in making your decision.

              One more thing: once you've experienced variable speed you never want
              to go back.

              Graciously,
              Jim
              Lakewood, CA
              All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              dangerous_dave308 wrote:

              > Thanks Harvey, I had the opertunity to visit the Grizzly outlet in
              > Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. They had their "mini mill" setting
              > right next to the model G0517 mill/drill. I couldnt make up my mind.
              > I see your point on the Z travel thing. Still the mill/drill looked
              > nice. ( wew, I have a hard time with decisions) One concern that I
              > have with the mini-mill is the plastic gears. this seams to be a weak
              > spot. Am I being unrealistic?.
              >

              > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >>On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:05:11 -0000, you wrote:
              >>

              >>>Tell me, How does the Griz mini mill stack up against their small
              >>>mill-drill? I feel the need to buy something.
              >>
              >>mill drills are generally heavier, bigger work envelope.
              >>
              >>On the other hand, with a round column, the z travel is minimal, and
              >>you lose the indexing if you go beyond what the quill will do. I
              >>think square column would be better.
              >>
              >>Motor speed is belt selected, not infinitely variable, so that's
              >>another kettle of fish.
              >>
              >>Harvey
            • Harvey White
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10 1:38 PM
                On Sun, 09 May 2004 22:34:10 -0000, you wrote:

                >Thanks Harvey, I had the opertunity to visit the Grizzly outlet in
                >Pennsylvania a few weeks ago. They had their "mini mill" setting
                >right next to the model G0517 mill/drill. I couldnt make up my mind.
                >I see your point on the Z travel thing. Still the mill/drill looked
                >nice. ( wew, I have a hard time with decisions) One concern that I
                >have with the mini-mill is the plastic gears. this seams to be a weak
                >spot. Am I being unrealistic?.

                Ah, well, the plastic gears are a bit of a controversy. There are
                people who have looked at them crosswise and they've been broken. On
                the other hand, there are people who have used them for a number of
                years (me, for over 1 1/2 years, I think), without a problem.
                Essentially the same set is in the 7x series lathes.

                The deal is that the gears can be abused. Typically, this is by
                overloading the machine severely, or (more often) by subjecting the
                machine to an interrupted cut. If you are using a fly cutter to clean
                up the top of a bar, and the arc of the cutter is larger than the bar
                width, then you have an interrupted cut. This puts a lot of shock
                stress on the gears, and you must be careful to take off only 5
                thousandths (my opinion) at a time, if that. Something similar can
                happen when milling, or when using a boring head.

                Some have made a series of brass gears, and they report that these
                work well, but are more noisy.

                For an idea of what happened to me (I had to get a set of gears, but
                not for the obvious reasons) go to http://home.netcom.com/~madyn and I
                think that the article under the metalworking section is the one on
                the quick change toolpost. That also covers a mod the mill that
                others have done.

                If you have the option, a square column mill of some sort is a much
                better idea. Otherwise, if you ever want to go to CNC, you will have
                to rig up a good Z axis mechanism and do something to lock the Z axis
                properly in place, so you do not lose your XY center.

                Harvey

                >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Harvey White <madyn@i...>
                >wrote:
                >> On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:05:11 -0000, you wrote:
                >>
                >> >Tell me, How does the Griz mini mill stack up against their small
                >> >mill-drill? I feel the need to buy something.
                >>
                >> mill drills are generally heavier, bigger work envelope.
                >>
                >> On the other hand, with a round column, the z travel is minimal, and
                >> you lose the indexing if you go beyond what the quill will do. I
                >> think square column would be better.
                >>
                >> Motor speed is belt selected, not infinitely variable, so that's
                >> another kettle of fish.
                >>
                >> Harvey
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • kf2qd2000
                Message 7 of 7 , May 10 7:58 PM
                  Most mill/Drills have a drillpress type spindle/quill which is not
                  designed to be real tight or accurate.

                  I find the minimill to have a good spindle and very little slop and
                  performs well within its design envelope.

                  Just wish it was easier to square the head to the table.

                  A bridgeport would be nice...

                  Pete Cook