Re: minimill ?

  • Richard Albers
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2004
      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <ronpierce1@m...> wrote:
      > I just ordered the Grizzly G0517, I noticed it says the end mill
      > capacity is 1/4 inch, does this mean the depth ? as you mill ? but
      > you can use wider endmills ? like 1/2 inch at 1/4 deep per pass ?
      > Ron

      No, that means you should not use an end mill that cuts wider
      than 1/4". It also says you should not use a face mill wider than
      5/8". That's in mild steel, no other material is specified.
      Note to group see the spec sheet at:

      < http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/specsheets/G0517.pdf? >

      I would guess that almost every owner will disregard these limits,
      but if your machine breaks, and you admit using a larger cutter than
      specified, they may not honor the warrantee.

      You should also know that this machine looks suspiciously like
      one Harbor Freight sells as a Drill/Mill (not a Mill/Drill). That
      means it is really a Drill Press that you can use for occaisional
      milling. I don't know that these are the same units, but I suggest
      you ask Grizzly about it, hopefully before they ship it.

      Just FYI, the MiniMill this group is dedicated (but not limited)
      to is the G8689. Both have similar capacities, but the G8689 is
      a "real" mill (tho' small).

      RA
    • cikoolk
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2004
        If you want to do any serious milling this is not a good machine to
        buy, as it is essentially a drill press with and XY table--in fact
        the head assembly is identical to that of many Asian drill presses
        sold by HF, Grizzly, Homier, and others.

        I think you'll find that using a 1/4" end mill, in mild steel, will
        be the machines real upper limit; and that a 3/4" face mill will
        shake this puppy's tail...

        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2004
          Perhaps before you make such inflamatory statements
          you should see some of the things people have made
          with their minimills. While I agree that the machines
          largest drawback is not it's size but rather it's lack
          of rigidity, I do not agree that only big hogging cuts
          with huge endmills are "serious".

          If cubic feet per minute of metal removal were the
          measure of "serious" machining, we would all throw
          away our Bridgeports and use nothing but the old
          Kearney and Trecker's, Cincinatti's and all the
          horizontals from pre 1970. The reality is that what is
          "serious" to one guy is silly to another. I know some
          extremely "serious" machinists that take little tiny
          itty bitty cuts when a hole simply must be correct to
          within 50 millionths or so. I also know some extreme
          modellers who do very "serious" work on live steam
          model locomotives.

          My point is, anybody who needs to do big lot
          production, work on large stuff or just needs to
          remove a lot of material wouldn't be looking at these
          machines anyway.

          Oh, one more thing, I own a minimill and I am a
          "serious" toolmaker.

          Barry Young

          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2004
            Yep, they were all correct and I was wrong, it is a drill press with
            an x y table attached. It would be awful shaky for milling.

            --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <ronpierce1@m...> wrote:
            > I just ordered the Grizzly G0517, I noticed it says the end mill
            > capacity is 1/4 inch, does this mean the depth ? as you mill ? but
            > you can use wider endmills ? like 1/2 inch at 1/4 deep per pass ?
            > Ron
          • james04
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2004
              Barry,

              Are you guys on the same page. I ask because you say minimill G8689? and the remark was maid about the drill/mill G0517. However, I've seen fine results posted from both machines. I own the HF version of the minimill and couldn't be happier with it.

              James

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2004
                Hi James:

                Nope! I was way off base and have now learned to read
                carefully before answering. My mistake. Sorry
                everybody.

                Barry Young

              • cikoolk
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                  That's cool, I'd love to tell you I've never "leapt before
                  looking"...

                  -cliff-

                  BTW, I also have the HF minimill and love it...

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Barry Young

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2004
                    It is my only form of exercise besides jumping to
                    conclusions.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2004
                      wrote:

                      > It is my only form of exercise besides jumping to
                      > conclusions.

                      I resemble that remark... ;-)

                      RA