Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: griz 3in1

  • wkinney@cox.net
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 12 12:45 PM
      Bill

      How much of a bite (in aluminum I assume) did you take when it took out the gears? I routinly take 0.035 with a 1.25 diameter fly cutter; in low gear.

      Bil

      > From: "Bill Collins" <bill_collins14@...>
      > Date: 2004/04/12 Mon PM 03:28:56 EDT
      > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: griz 3in1
      >
      > Hi KMc,when using a flycutter it is very important you don't take a
      > very large cut.I found out the hard way.The first time I used a
      > flycutter in my Grizzly,I took to much of a cut and shattered the
      > gears in the mill head and replaced them.Now when I use a flycutter I
      > take about.005 cut with each pass.I am seriously considering making a
      > set of gears from brass and replacing the plastic gears.
      >
      > Of course I only use my flycutter to mill large areas of aluminum
      > clamped onto the mill table.It's a lot quicker than using a standard
      > end mill over a fairly large surface.
      > As for boring with the mill I haven't had any problems.Like any
      > machine,there are limits to the amount of material that can be
      > removed with each pass.
      >
      > Good luck and God Bless.
      > Bill C.(Billy Reb)
      > Minford,Ohio
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Richard Albers
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 17 10:40 AM
        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, dswr@w... wrote:
        > I used low pressure air to clear chips after that. A vacuum would
        > most likely be better.
        >
        > Leo (pearland, tx)

        I don't like to use pressure, even low pressure, to clear chips.
        It always seems to blow the chips into places I don't want them to
        go. And that makes clean-up harder. I don't enjoy cleaning up, so
        anything that reduces the effort is a Good Thing in my shop!

        Using a reducer to allow a smaller nozzle on the vacuum helps
        get into tight places - turn one out of plastic or aluminum on the
        mini-lathe. Just keep the air flow high enough to keep the vacuum's
        motor from melting down.

        RA