RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Finding Center of Round Stock

  • Dave Hylands
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 4 11:02 AM
      Hi Rick,

      > I use a DRO so backlash is not an issue as far as locating
      > centers or other points. It is an issue when milling, and
      > I tend to account for it in positioning the table even for
      > drilling, but this occurs after the "position" is located
      > using the edge finder & DRO.

      Whether backlash is an issue or not depends on how your DRO is
      connected.

      If the DRO is connected to the table, then you're measuring the position
      of the table, and backlash isn't an issue.

      If the DRO is connected to the leadscrew (via rotary encoder), then
      you're measuring the position of the leadscrew, and backlash is an
      issue.

      Finding one edge and moving half the diameter makes perfect sense, and
      is probably easier/faster then finding both edges, provided you know (or
      have measured) the diameter.

      --
      Dave Hylands
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 6 11:28 AM
        Hi guys:

        I would recommend that you pick up an edge with an
        edge finder, move in .500 and drill a hole. Then
        measure the distance from the edge of the part to the
        center of the hole. This is how you find as I have
        done, exactly how far you are from the edge you are
        when you use an edge finder. I am .0001 from the edge
        with my edge finder and with the techniques I use. So
        do the experiment and test your own techniques. Every
        tool and every machinist will get different results.
        The only way to be sure is to try it.

        Barry Young

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html