Harbor Freight mini-mill on sale for $360 until Feb 5/04

  • Fred Walter
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3 8:39 AM
      http://www.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202

      In-store sale price of $400, with a 10% off coupon == $360

      Sale ends Feb 5/04
    • Jim E.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3 9:19 AM
        THAT is a good deal...

        Fred Walter wrote:

        > http://www.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202
        >
        > In-store sale price of $400, with a 10% off coupon == $360
        >
        > Sale ends Feb 5/04

        Graciously,
        Jim
        Lakewood, CA
        All Hail Rube Goldberg!
      • Glen Epperson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3 12:34 PM
          This looks like almost the same Mini-Mill that
          Micromark sells for over $500.

          --- "Jim E." <jim0000@...> wrote:
          > THAT is a good deal...
          >
          > Fred Walter wrote:

          http://www.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=202

          > > In-store sale price of $400, with a 10% off coupon
          > == $360
          > >
          > > Sale ends Feb 5/04
          >
          > Graciously,
          > Jim
          > Lakewood, CA
          > All Hail Rube Goldberg!
          >

          > Be sure to check out
          > http://www.MiniatureMachines.com for small mills and
          > lathes.

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • jjfear
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3 4:28 PM
            Glen,

            It isexcept that the MicroMark has inch leadscrews and dials, whereas
            the HF, Grizzly, and Homier have metric.

            HTH Jerry Fear

          • dswr@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3 4:34 PM
              "This looks like almost the same Mini-Mill that
              Micromark sells for over $500."

              Glenn, the same except for two main features (there may be other minor
              differences)... The Micromark has a MT#3 socket in the spindle, The HF
              has a R8.

              The Micromark has 10tpi on the X and Y leadscrews. The HF (and the other
              brands) have 16tpi on their leadscrews. IMO: the Micromark is superior
              in this respect, 0.050" per revolution of the handwheels. The others
              advance 0.0625" per revolution.

              Leo (pearland, tx)
            • Jim E.
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3 4:47 PM
                For all intents and purposes, it is.

                Graciously,
                Jim
                Lakewood, CA
                All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              • dswr@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4 5:12 AM
                  I scribbled: " The Micromark has 10tpi on the X and Y leadscrews. The HF
                  (and the other
                  brands) have 16tpi on their leadscrews. IMO: the Micromark is superior
                  in this respect, 0.050" per revolution of the handwheels. The others
                  advance 0.0625" per revolution."

                  I must'a used a New Math book for my calculations! 1/10=0.1 not 0.05 so
                  the former statement should'a read 0.100" per rev...

                  Sorry 8-(

                  Leo (location not disclosed)
                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4 9:01 AM
                    jjfear wrote:

                    >Glen,
                    >
                    >It isexcept that the MicroMark has inch leadscrews and dials, whereas
                    >the HF, Grizzly, and Homier have metric.

                    That's not true. All the others have varying dial markings but they have
                    16 TPI (.0625 lead)
                    screws, not metric leadscrews. Also the HF (and Homier) have an R8
                    spindle while
                    the Micromark and Grizzly have a MT3 spindle. They are all made in the
                    same factory in China.
                    The Grizzly has some really strange dial markings but it's still 16 TPI.

                    Greg (w/ Homier 16tpi with 1 mil markings, R8 spindle)
                  • Richard Albers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4 11:14 PM
                      You were right when you stated that the MicroMark leadscrew is
                      0.050" per revolution. That makes it 20 tpi, not 10 tpi. I agree
                      with the rest of your post.

                      For those who want the best of all worlds (or tools), MicroMark
                      sells a conversion kit to allow other brands of these mills to read
                      in 0.050" per revolution. I think it is _much_ easier to calculate
                      distances of multiple turns of the leadscrew with this lead than with
                      the original 0.0625" per revolution. I converted my mill, and I'm
                      not going back. I recommend it.

                      RA