Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Finding Center of Round Stock

  • Jerry S.
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 1, 2004
      Leo,

          Thanks for clearing up the topics covered. It has been said that a last word indicator is too expensive. When I first started out nearly 40 years ago I had the same opinion. If they are still available an "Ideal Indicator" was only about $8 or $10. It is limited in travel, about .010 total, but accurate enough that you could split a thou. (.0005). For the financially challenged that or a pawn shop might be the way to go.
          Regarding the edge finder, I think they are excellent for finding the verticle edge of any straight edge, I have to question (never having checked it out) the accuracy of edgefinding a verticle cylinder. The reson behind my questioning this process is the relationship of the two diameters, the workpiece dia. and the ,200 dia. of the E.F. addressing each other in a manner that would equate to "Conventional Milling" on one side and "Climb Milling" on the other side of the workpiece. I have allways used the Indicator Tram Method to find the center of vertical cylinders, because the forementioned diametrical relationship didn't sound like it would be accurate enough.

      Y.M.M.V.

      Jerry S.
      P.S. I agree with your Horizonal E.F. method, assuming your workpiece is .500 dia.

      Jerry,

      The original post inquired about both, finding the center point and
      finding the diameter of 1/2 inch bar.

      But, most of the following discussion was on locating the diameter.

      The most practical (if you have one) is to use a edge finder. Run the
      edge finder up to the side of the stock (it must touch horizontal
      diameter of the stock). If it is a finder with a 0.200" probe, you now
      know that the center of the chuck (mill spindle) is 0.350" offset from
      the vertical diameter of the stock. Move the table over that amount and
      you are on the mark.

      I suggested a simpler way but was told that it would not "fly"!   8-)

      Leo (pearland, tx)

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 6, 2004
        Hi guys:

        I would recommend that you pick up an edge with an
        edge finder, move in .500 and drill a hole. Then
        measure the distance from the edge of the part to the
        center of the hole. This is how you find as I have
        done, exactly how far you are from the edge you are
        when you use an edge finder. I am .0001 from the edge
        with my edge finder and with the techniques I use. So
        do the experiment and test your own techniques. Every
        tool and every machinist will get different results.
        The only way to be sure is to try it.

        Barry Young

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html