slip mechanism

  • qunungnauraq
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2004
      I have an idea to propose.
      What about a slip mechanism for the mini mill utilizing a couple of
      perforated washers compressing ballbearings under adjustable spring
      pressure, simmilar to the torque setting on a cordless drill or
      screwdriver. It could be attached to a modified drive gear.
      It could be set to protect gears or even small end mills from
      breakage.
      that it is thier right and duty to be at all times armed."
    • dds6263
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2004
        It is a good idea and should work as expected assuming you can come
        up with a design for the slip clutch and a method to mount it - there
        isn't much room in that area (motor drive shaft and intermediate
        drive shaft). I would probably start by attempting to replace the
        existing 12mm intermediate shaft with a longer one whereby the slip
        clutch would mount over the existing intermediate gear. It would be
        better if the clutch were mounted directly on the motor shaft, but
        that might be difficult because of the short motor shaft and the tiny
        gear. At any rate I have to say that I would probably choose to spend
        my time in changing over the entire gear train to a belt drive before
        I would try the slip clutch

        --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "qunungnauraq"