Re: Newbie

  • rabeet00
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
      Okay, I'm impressed. This is looking like an excellent direction for
      me to go in.

      Thanks!

      Ed

      > This is his modified mill. He doesn't have one of these ebay now.
      I have never seen any bids on these, the starting price is $895.

      > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1669964908
      >

      > Bert
    • rabeet00
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
        > My best suggestion is to call Rick and tell him what you want in a
        > machine. He has many options and configurations to pretty much suit
        > anyone. He even offers a ball screw option for people wanting to
        > outfit the machine for CNC. He's done a few of these.

        Sounds good.

        > I have the same drill press augmented with a keyless chuck. Works
        > great for what I need. Precision drilling/boring are done on the
        REX.

        And it is almost a good drill press. Mine has a ton of slop, though,
        in both the quill and the spindle within it. I've managed holes just
        good enough, but they take a lot of careful techniques I recently
        learned, i.e., using a spotter drill, etc.

        > Carefull, this hobby is extremely addictive and can consume your
        > budget like a voracious pit-bull. ;^)
        >
        > Bill M.

        Ah, and this is a hobby inside another rather expensive hobby:
        motorcycle modification. :D Not to mention all of the other stuff
        I've always wanted to make... ;)

        Thanks again.

        Ed
      • wit01us
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2002
          I just got a HF 7x10 lathe. I went to some of the web sites and
          followed the inprovements they made. I was amazed at how much it
          inproved the lathe. I was so inpressed that I just got a grizly mim-
          mill. I believe with a little work this machine can also be inproved.
          The biggest problem with these machines is the poor finish work form
          the factory. The REX machine sounds like the the BEST choice out of
          the three. I am going to make most of the mods that REX does. I
          guess what I'm trying to say is that these age great little machines
          and you will be very happy with the REX.

          Best of luck.....

          Mark w.

          --- In GrizHFMinimill@y..., "rabeet00" <rabeet00@y...> wrote:
          > I am very new to machining and looking to buy my first machine.
          Very
          > nice to find groups such as this to read how other folks are doing
          > with smaller setups.
          >
          > The work I want to do is mostly aluminum, usually 6061 T6. The
          > largest part I have made thus far with hand tools was hacked from a
          > 1/2" x 3" x 12" hunk of bar stock. I could see wanting to go up to
          as
          > much as 2" thick, but that is a good upper size for me.
          >
          > The kind of operations I think I need from a machine are accurate
          > drilling (tired of trying to get my drill press to work) and of
          > course milling. Precision wise, I want to make the occasional round
          > clamp that would require fairly close tolerances, but offhand I
          > think .01" would probably work fine for me for now.
          >
          > I have run hot and cold on the Grizzly/HF machines, but then my
          space
          > is very limited, and I think it wise to keep cost down as I can. I
          > have also thought about going for broke and buying a Prazi or
          Rusnok,
          > but I am quite sure that would be a mistake.
          >
          > I have seen the HF machine in person, and was not impressed with
          how
          > loose everything was. I imagine this particular machine had just
          been
          > sitting in the store too long with zero attention paid to it.
          >
          > Grizzly at least seems like a well run company from a customer
          > service standpoint. I ordered an inexpensive cross slide vise from
          > them that makes a great doorstop, and they were happy to offer to
          > take it back.
          >
          > I have been unable to find any contact information for Rex. If
          > someone could email me (mrpiedpiper@a...) I would appreciate it. I
          > could see spending a bit to buy an improved version of these
          machines.

          > Sorry to ramble. Thanks for all of the info. in the posts to this
          > group.
          >
          > Ed
        • w_r_miller2001
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
            > And it is almost a good drill press. Mine has a ton of slop,
            >though, in both the quill and the spindle within it. I've managed
            >holes just good enough, but they take a lot of careful techniques I
            >recently learned, i.e., using a spotter drill, etc.

            Really? Mine works quite well for what it is. The only really bad
            piece on mine was that POS drill chuck. Replaced it with a keyless
            from Enco.

            > Ah, and this is a hobby inside another rather expensive hobby:
            > motorcycle modification. :D Not to mention all of the other stuff
            > I've always wanted to make... ;)

            Used to race motorcycles (ARRA, Formula USA) at Willow Springs in
            Southern California. But that wasn't near as expensive as modding
            cars for open track/autocross use. Ouch. :o

            Bill M.
          • rabeet00
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
              Bill, I talked to Rick and he knew who you were right off.

              Very interesting guy and products as well. He is sending me some
              things to have a look at. At the moment, I would definitely say the
              Rex is going to be my choice. It is a relief to find something that
              fits everything I am looking for in a first machine.

              I appreciate your pointing me his way.

              Ed

              > Rick Lalonde at REX can be reached at: 818.897.4640. Tell him Bill
              > Miller says Hi.
              >
              > Bill M.
            • w_r_miller2001
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 10, 2002
                > I appreciate your pointing me his way.
                >
                > Ed

                No problem. Rick is an interesting guy, and really puts his heart
                into his work. Hope you find something that works for you.

                Bill M.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 12, 2002
                  Hello Ed:

                  You get far more than you pay for with a minimill no
                  matter who you buy it from. You can make most anything
                  about the size of a loaf of bread.

                  Welcome to the group.

                  Barry Young

                  Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!