How do I make this thing work?

  • jdowner2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014

      I unpacked my mill this morning and found the drill chuck in the packing.  But I like the idea of a 3/8" drill chuck with a 3/8" straight shaft.

      Now here's my problem.  I can't get the head to move up and down.  I've losened everything I see and it still won't move.  Is there some kind of shipping lock?  I even losened the gib set screws thinking the gib was stuck. I hope I get this figured out.  I want to use it this weekend.

      Thanks's again, Tom

    • Galimba1
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
        If it's like my micro mill from HF, there is a wormgear on the left for micro-z movement.  a pin engages and disengages the micro-z wormgear.  When engaged, I can't rotate the drill handle on the right, only the fine adjustment screw.

        Unless you're talking about the Z axis worm screw on top. . . two bolts hold my screw in place.  remove that, and the whole machining head assembly can be removed for cleaning.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
          On 24 Apr 2014 08:17:01 -0700, you wrote:

          >I unpacked my mill this morning and found the drill chuck in the packing. But I like the idea of a 3/8" drill chuck with a 3/8" straight shaft.
          >

          > Now here's my problem. I can't get the head to move up and down. I've losened everything I see and it still won't move. Is there some kind of shipping lock? I even losened the gib set screws thinking the gib was stuck. I hope I get this figured out. I want to use it this weekend.

          If it's the X2, then look at the lever on the side. There should be a
          crown gear. If the handls are in and the crown is meshed, then the
          knob on the front controls the head position. Pull the levers out to
          unmesh the gear and allow coarse control of the head position.

          Harvey

          > Thanks's again, Tom
        • Rob Yates

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
              Thanks everyone.  You were right.  The feed lever was stuck.  Once I saw the crown gears someone mentioned I knew that was it.  They were stuck so bad I had to use a miniture pry bar to get them to let go.  This weekend I'll take it apart, run it in the parts washer and hopefully start using it.  I know my lathe was a different machine once it was cleaned and tuned.

              Thanks, Tom

            • gerry waclawiak
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 25, 2014
                Rob.
                there is a sprung ball detent that holds the wheel in or out of position.

                If you look at the perimeter of the boss you will see a cross drilled hole with an allen screw that hold the ball and spring in position. slackening or tightening a turn or so will adjust the pressure required to move it

                Gerry W
                Leeds UK

                ________________________________
                > From: geofairbanks@...
                > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:05:00 -0400
                > Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] How do I make this thing work?
                >

                > I had the same problem. I had read to pull the the z-index control
                > wheel straight out to disengage the fine feed, but it wouldn't budge.
                > Turns out I wasn't pulling hard enough.
                >
                > - Rob
                >
                > On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:17 AM,
                > <hogwinslow@...<mailto:hogwinslow@...>> wrote:
                >

                > I unpacked my mill this morning and found the drill chuck in the
                > packing. But I like the idea of a 3/8" drill chuck with a 3/8"
                > straight shaft.
                >

                > Now here's my problem. I can't get the head to move up and down. I've
                > losened everything I see and it still won't move. Is there some kind
                > of shipping lock? I even losened the gib set screws thinking the gib
                > was stuck. I hope I get this figured out. I want to use it this
                > weekend.
                >

                > Thanks's again, Tom

              • Alan Reinhart
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 25, 2014
                  Rob - I've gone thru that same problem.  It turns out that when you want to disengage the fine feed, there is some tension on the lugs.  If you move the head up and down just a little, it frees things up, and it will disengage quite easily.

                  =Alan R.
                  http://www.avrdev.net