Got my mill today!

  • jdowner2003
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014

      It only took 1 week of shipping.  I was suprised at that.  And it's not pasted in grease like my lathe was.

      Now I have a couple of questions.  I bought  R8 collet in the 3/8 size.  Mainly because my grandfather left me a few 3/8 shaft end mills.  If I want to drill hole I'll have remove that collet and replace it with the original one to allow the installation of the drill chuck, correct?  Or turn down the shafts of my drill bits to 3/8" and turn sleeves for the smaller drills.  Then I could use the 3/8 collet, corect?

      When I bought my lathe a found a ton of material on the net about adjusting and cleaning of the packing grease.  I'm having trouble finding this same material for the mill.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

      My first job will be milling slots in 1/4" aluminium using  1/4" end mill.  What speed should I use?

      Thanks, Tom

    • Stephen Castello
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014
        Info on cleaning & adjusting: http://crevicereamer.com/Page_6.html

        On 23 Apr 2014 09:39:01 -0700, <hogwinslow@...> had a flock of
        green cheek conures squawk out:

        --

        Stephen

        As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
      • madyn48
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014
          On 23 Apr 2014 09:39:01 -0700, you wrote:

          >It only took 1 week of shipping. I was suprised at that. And it's not pasted in grease like my lathe was.
          >

          > Now I have a couple of questions. I bought R8 collet in the 3/8 size. Mainly because my grandfather left me a few 3/8 shaft end mills.
          >If I want to drill hole I'll have remove that collet and replace it with the original one to allow the installation of the drill chuck, correct?

          While that's one way to do it, most people use a jacobs chuck with an
          R8 shank for drilling.

          If you want the most accurate way of drilling (and reaming), then I'd
          recommend a set of R8 collets.

          >Or turn down the shafts of my drill bits to 3/8" and turn sleeves for the smaller drills. Then I could use the 3/8 collet, corect?

          You could, but the amount of time it would take to do a really good
          job is likely prohibitive. I'd recommend the collets.

          > When I bought my lathe a found a ton of material on the net about adjusting and cleaning of the packing grease. I'm having trouble finding this same material for the mill. Can someone point me in the right direction?

          Little machine shop (www.littlemachineshop.com) has some excellent
          information and some good links.

          > My first job will be milling slots in 1/4" aluminium using 1/4" end mill. What speed should I use?

          There's a formula for this which I don't remember, but you'd do best
          with a two flute endmill, and if you want a 1/4 inch slot, use a
          smaller endmill and sneak up on it, far more accurate.

          I'd do about medium speed on the lowest gearing, aluminum generally
          goes higher speed than steel, but on a small mill like this, your ear
          (once developed) is the best indicator.

          You might find that a cutting fluid may help on aluminum to keep it
          from gumming up the mill.

          Harvey

          > Thanks, Tom
        • a rien
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014
            When I bought my mini mill from HF it came with a drill chuck with the R8 adapter installed, I never have used any collets to drill with.
            As I moved along I bought a more accurate German chuck with an R8 shaft.
            Anthony

            Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Got my mill today!
            To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014
              Use a drill chuck with a r8 shaft or an adapter with coinciding collet u have ( if u have a 1/2" collet use a 1/2" adapter) I prefer the R8 adapter for my drill chuck, do a web search for machinist reference it'll show speeds n feeds
            • Bill Rubenstein
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 23, 2014
                Remember, though, that feeds and speeds are normally for people using "real" industrial machines, not the hobby class of machines.  Sound, feel, and prior successes and failures are better guidance than the tables you'll find.

                Bill

                On 04/23/2014 05:09 PM, trialnterror@... wrote:

                Use a drill chuck with a r8 shaft or an adapter with coinciding collet u have ( if u have a 1/2" collet use a 1/2" adapter) I prefer the R8 adapter for my drill chuck, do a web search for machinist reference it'll show speeds n feeds

              • chucketn
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014

                  Tom, if you can find a dead battery or electric drill and salvage the chuck, they are usually threaded 3/8-24. Thread a piece of 3/8 stock to make a straight shank to fit your 3/8 collet.

                  Where are you located? If you have a 3/8 x 24 threaded chuck, and don't have the capability of making a straight shank for it, I'd be willing to make one for you. Would only take a few minutes. I have 3/8" and 1/4" chucks on straight shanks I have made as well as on MT2 and R8 shanks.

                  Chuck

                • jdowner2003
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                    That's a great idea! I think I have a 3/8" chuck in my grandfathers tool box.  I have a HF lathe also so I should be able to make the shaft. As long as I thread it straight.  I live in the mountains near Asheville NC.
                  • Roger Blair
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                      Why not just get a 3/8-24 bolt at the hardware store and hacksaw the head off?
                      Just an Idea...
                      Roger

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                        On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:38:11 -0700, you wrote:

                        >Why not just get a 3/8-24 bolt at the hardware store and hacksaw the head off?
                        >Just an Idea...

                        It's likely that it will have excessive runout. No guarantee that the
                        bolt is really round or that the threads are properly centered.

                        Works, yes, works well, perhaps not.

                        You can get the proper stuff and do it right, since accuracy and a
                        good drill chuck are important. Many drill chucks on the average home
                        drill are good enough to be held by hand, but not good enough to drill
                        accurate holes.

                        Harvey

                        >Roger
                        >On 4/24/2014 8:18 AM, hogwinslow@... wrote:
                        >

                        >That's a great idea! I think I have a 3/8" chuck in my grandfathers tool box. I have a HF lathe also so I should be able to make the shaft. As long as I thread it straight. I live in the mountains near Asheville NC.

                      • Alan Reinhart

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                            Even better why not just order one from shar's or grizzly they are pretty inexpensive !
                          • Roger Blair
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                              All true I know, but $1.50 grade8 +10 minutes, makes it worth the gamble for me... I double-nut and lathe-true bolts every now and then.
                              Roger

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 24, 2014
                                On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:35:53 -0700, you wrote:

                                >All true I know, but $1.50 grade8 +10 minutes, makes it worth the gamble for me... I double-nut and lathe-true bolts every now and then.
                                >Roger

                                Please share when you get it done what you've done and what the total
                                runout is. I'd suggest drill rod to help measure runout, and at least
                                two different measurements.

                                It's an interesting experiment to see how good this will be. You
                                could be quite fortunate, or not.

                                Can't put numbers to it myself, but I'd like to see them.

                                Harvey