Corian vs Delrin

  • Don Latch
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25 5:50 PM
      I have been working with some Corian scraps and having good results. It can be had for next to nothing, How expensive is Delrin and where do most of you buy raw materials.

      Don
    • Stephen Castello
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25 7:19 PM
        On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:50:25 -0400, "Don Latch" <donlatch@...>
        had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

        Online Metals. I use the link on www.littlemachineshop.com home page.
        Speed Metals. www.speedymetals.com
        McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com
        Enco www.use-enco.com
        Fastenal www.fastenal.com You may have a local Fastenal outlet.

        --

        Stephen

        Buy Land Now. It's Not Being Made Any More.
      • Joe V31JP
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25 9:26 PM
          Corian is softer then Delrin.

          I buy my Delrin and metals from Exact Metals:
          http://stores.ebay.com/Exact-Metals

          They charge shipping $5.15 expedited shipping for first item, the rest are free.

          On 3/25/2014 6:50 PM, Don Latch wrote:
          I have been working with some Corian scraps and having good results. It can be had for next to nothing, How expensive is Delrin and where do most of you buy raw materials.

          Don

          --
          Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
          P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
          (Hopkins Village) Belize
          011-501-503-7346 Belize
          011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
          or
          5204 Texas Highway 49 W
          Omaha, TX 75571-6474
          U.S.A.
          903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
          903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
          Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
          PG1915841
          Skype: v31joepalooka
          Facebook: Joe Pontek
          I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
          V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691

        • gerry waclawiak
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26 5:03 AM
            Hi Don,

            I live in the UK and have been model engineering for 10 years now and have not needed to buy new plastic material for my hobby  for most of that  time

            I am primarily a hobby machinist and therefore try and re-use material, free if possible or bought as scrap or offcuts to keep costs down.

            I have been very fortunate in respect of plastics, just as well considering what most regard as a cheap and disposable metal substitute  is anything but when it comes to buying new for hobby use.

            I am quite fortunate in that one of the UK's premier model engineering exhibitions takes place near where I live so I attend every year.

            On my first year I came across a trader who makes and sells ride-on model electric railway
            locomotives for garden use. On his stall he had a table that was full of offcuts of "engineering" plastics priced very cheaply including Lexan, polycarbonate, polypropylene, ABS, Delrin, Nylon, glass filled nylon etc in rod, bar, tube and sheet form often in clear white. black, brown and even some colours.

            As his locos are designed for outside use they have a large plastic content and these are all scrap from his machine shop. Apparently he gets little or nothing for these as waste so collects them and sells them cheaply to hobbyists at shows throughout the year

            Needless to  say I took advantage of my good luck that year and have been able to re-stock every year since!

            Gerry W
            Leeds UK
            ________________________________
            > From: donlatch@...
            > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:50:25 -0400
            > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Corian vs Delrin
            >

            > I have been working with some Corian scraps and having good results. It
            > can be had for next to nothing, How expensive is Delrin and where do
            > most of you buy raw materials.
            >
            > Don

          • Freeman P. Pascal IV
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26 6:21 AM
              A cheap source of Corian might be your local cabinetry shop that does custom kitchen counters. My local shop gave me several scrap pieces left over from cutting out sink holes. I would expect them to charge me for any large quantities of scrap but I expect it to be very cheap.

              -Freeman

              Don Latch <donlatch@...> wrote:

              I have been working with some Corian scraps and having good results. It can be had for next to nothing, How expensive is Delrin and where do most of you buy raw materials.

              Don

            • kaje7777
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 26 7:19 AM
                I buy materials from a variety of sources. I'm also fortunate to have a couple of local suppliers so I can save on shipping for some materials. You can find a list of links to vendors I use here:
                https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#metals
                I also did a cost comparison for various suppliers, you can see it here:
                https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/review---metal-prices
              • Jim E.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 26 9:30 AM
                  Plastic Depot
                  Torrance, CA
                  <http://www.plastic-depot.biz/>

                  Graciously,
                  Jim E.
                  Lakewood, Calif.
                  All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                  Don Latch wrote:

                  > I have been working with some Corian scraps and having good results. It
                  > can be had for next to nothing, How expensive is Delrin and where do
                  > most of you buy raw materials.
                  >
                  > Don
                • gregj888
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 26 5:16 PM
                    Local plastics supply house.  $2/lb, cast acrylic, acetals....  what ever is on the scrap shelf.  They had some pretty large pieces on the shelf.  I grabbed a selection including a 3" x 3.5" x 8" piece of black Acetal. but they had larger pieces too.

                    Our local metal supply also has odds and ends.  They will usually sell the small pieces as scrap and the larger pieces a full piece price/per if you take the whole piece  (ie the $/ft price for the full piece even if the piece is only 3' long).  The latter are not scrap prices but very affordable compared to most of the small piece prices on-line.