X2 loping in handcranks

  • Don Latch
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23 11:21 AM
      I purchased an X2 and replaced the X and Y screws with the 20-tpi kit from Little Machine Shop even before using the machine so, I don't know if these screws are lower quality than the stock units.

      The problem is "cam action or, loping" in the handles. Even with the nut lash adjustment rather loose, the cam action is still more than I think it should be. I can deal with the backlash for now but, the loping bothers me.

      How common is this? Are better quality screws available? Is there a recommended way to minimize this problem?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Stephen Castello
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23 4:24 PM
        On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:21:53 -0400, "Don Latch" <donlatch@...>
        had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

        >I purchased an X2 and replaced the X and Y screws with the 20-tpi kit from Little Machine Shop even before using the machine so, I don't know if these screws are lower quality than the stock units.
        >
        >The problem is "cam action or, loping" in the handles. Even with the nut lash adjustment rather loose, the cam action is still more than I think it should be. I can deal with the backlash for now but, the loping bothers me.
        >
        >How common is this? Are better quality screws available? Is there a recommended way to minimize this problem?
        >
        >Thanks in advance.

        Replace the double nuts with a nylok nut, it makes it easier to adjust
        the backlash.

        As the gibs and dovetails wear in, the smoother the movement.

        --

        Stephen

        Two wrongs are only the beginning.
      • a rien
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23 4:34 PM
          If I'm understanding the complaint correctly, to me it sounds like the replacement screws aren't straight and true.

          Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] X2 loping in handcranks
          To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 7:24 PM

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23 4:52 PM
            And see my pdf on y axis thrust washers and locknuts here:

            David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

            ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <zootzoot@...> wrote :

            On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:21:53 -0400, "Don Latch" <donlatch@...>
            had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

            >I purchased an X2 and replaced the X and Y screws with the 20-tpi kit from Little Machine Shop even before using the machine so, I don't know if these screws are lower quality than the stock units.
            >
            >The problem is "cam action or, loping" in the handles. Even with the nut lash adjustment rather loose, the cam action is still more than I think it should be. I can deal with the backlash for now but, the loping bothers me.
            >
            >How common is this? Are better quality screws available? Is there a recommended way to minimize this problem?
            >
            >Thanks in advance.

            Replace the double nuts with a nylok nut, it makes it easier to adjust
            the backlash.

            As the gibs and dovetails wear in, the smoother the movement.

            --

            Stephen

            Two wrongs are only the beginning.
          • gerry waclawiak
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24 3:14 AM
              I did David's mod with the Delrin washers a couple of years ago when it was first posted and it has worked out very well.

              Replacing the operating handle double nuts with nylocs was something I did on my mini-lathe and mini-mill several years ago. It makes adjustment so quick and easy and more precisely too.

              Gerry W
              Leeds UK
              ________________________________
              > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
              > From: dcclark111@...
              > Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:52:26 -0700
              > Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] X2 loping in handcranks
              >

              > And see my pdf on y axis thrust washers and locknuts here:
              >
              > David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
              >
              > ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <zootzoot@...> wrote :
              >
              > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:21:53 -0400, "Don Latch"
              > <donlatch@...<mailto:donlatch@...>>
              > had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:
              >
              > >I purchased an X2 and replaced the X and Y screws with the 20-tpi kit
              > from Little Machine Shop even before using the machine so, I don't know
              > if these screws are lower quality than the stock units.
              > >
              > >The problem is "cam action or, loping" in the handles. Even with the
              > nut lash adjustment rather loose, the cam action is still more than I
              > think it should be. I can deal with the backlash for now but, the
              > loping bothers me.
              > >
              > >How common is this? Are better quality screws available? Is there a
              > recommended way to minimize this problem?
              > >
              > >Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Replace the double nuts with a nylok nut, it makes it easier to adjust
              > the backlash.
              >
              > As the gibs and dovetails wear in, the smoother the movement.
              >
              > --
              >
              > Stephen
              >
              > Two wrongs are only the beginning.

            • donald.latch
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 24 8:22 AM
                a rien understands the complaint best:
                "...it sounds like the replacement screws aren't straight and true."
                Yes, it's like the screws are bent. The "nuts" that move the table have to ride up and down on the excentricity. When the table gets tight toward the end of the travel they can bind up. I'll check the original screws. If they seem better I could reinstall them once I get with DRO.
                I guess I'll ask LMS if they have better screws.
              • a3sigma
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 24 2:30 PM

                  If you are experiencing binding near the ends of table travel, it sounds like an alignment problem:

                  For the Y axis, bring the table all the way forward. Loosen the bushing block, allowing it to center itself on the lead screw, then retighten.

                  For the X axis, run the table all the way to each end, loosen the block and retighten.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 24 3:14 PM
                    D.C.'s suggestion is about right on. I'd add, that after you crank the x and Y as close to the handles as possible, loosen the the flange mount screws, loosen the nut anchor screws, then tighten everything and see if things get a bit better. I think that adding the dro's and using any screws that move smoothly is the best way to go. Once the dro's are installed things get a much more accurate and you won't have to look at the wheels.

                    To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com