new forum member

  • Don Latch
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 23, 2014
      I recently purchased an x2 mill and would like to post questions and disscussions to others with these hobby mills.

      Thanks

      Donald Latch
      central Virginia USA
    • John Bernoth
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2014
        Welcome to the collective Don. Ask away my friend there is bound to be an answer to whatever your question amongst the membership. AND remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Most of us started as newbies learning along the way. Oh yeah, remember that your mistakes will probably teach you more than your successes if you let em.
        John B
      • gerry waclawiak
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 25, 2014
          Learning from your mistakes does work in certain spheres, just avoid things like skydiving or bomb disposal

          Milling is a lot safer but just remember that powered machinery,  sharp metal tools and metal objects will win over human flesh every time so work safe. Eye protection is strongly recommended for obvious reasons

          As John says many of us started from very little and picked things up on the way so feel free to ask away. I bought a mini-lathe and mill about ten years ago to take up model engineering (small scale steam locomotives) the only experience I had had was about 35 tears prior, a few hours in school metal shop.

          I like to think that I am fairly good at using them now but everything came from books, mags,video, You-tube, internet sites and forums like this with loads of "stupid questions" along the way and then just having a go.

          I think that along the way between us all the stupid questions have already been asked and answered many times over so don't be shy!

          Gerry W
          Leeds UK
          ________________________________
          > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jbernoth1@...
          > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:02:41 +1100
          > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: new forum member
          >

          > Welcome to the collective Don. Ask away my friend there is bound to be
          > an answer to whatever your question amongst the membership. AND
          > remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Most of us
          > started as newbies learning along the way. Oh yeah, remember that your
          > mistakes will probably teach you more than your successes if you let
          > em.
          > John B

        • superc_53

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 25, 2014
              Thanks all for the welcome.

              I worked in a few job shops right out of high school way back in the 70's before CNC. Now I would love to have a hobby machine shop. My space is as limited as my budget so, a mini machine shop it will have to be.

              I build and race 1/24th scale slot cars and the mini mill is quite adequate for that purpose. Next year I figure to get the small lathe and hobby on.

              As for the loping in the screws, I thought the bushing nuts had to be loose to float. I will expirement with the suggestions to align them and tighten them at the ends.
            • Alan Reinhart
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 25, 2014
                Dude!   Talk about limited space:  Take a look at my "Live-in-Shop" - a lathe and a mill and electronics all in a 10'x11' den!

                http://www.avrdev.net

                Lotsa pix on the setup - might give you some ideas.

                =Alan R

                On 3/25/2014 8:47 PM, donald.latch@... wrote:

                Thanks all for the welcome.

                I worked in a few job shops right out of high school way back in the 70's before CNC. Now I would love to have a hobby machine shop. My space is as limited as my budget so, a mini machine shop it will have to be.

                I build and race 1/24th scale slot cars and the mini mill is quite adequate for that purpose. Next year I figure to get the small lathe and hobby on.

                As for the loping in the screws, I thought the bushing nuts had to be loose to float. I will expirement with the suggestions to align them and tighten them at the ends.

              • SirJohnOfYork
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 25, 2014
                   Ancient stand up comedian joke: "My dressing room is so small, I have to step outside to change my mind!"

                   Nice job on minimal space! :-)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 26, 2014
                    Hi Alan and thanks for sharing your small shop and website. I am sure it will help convince some members that you don't need a big shop and give them some ideas and inspiration

                    I'd just like to add to this by telling you a bit about my own home shop which is even smaller at only 8' x 6'6"

                    I live in the UK and own a moderate semi-detached house (I think you call them a twin or duplex in the US) and these typically have a small third bedroom, typically a similar size to mine. It was my son's until he left school and moved out.

                    It is now my hobby shop  and has my lathe, mill,small metal bandsaw, metal vice and a 3 in 1 metal shear, bender/folder and roller all on work surfaces, a mechanics tall tool-chest, table, chair and stool.

                    The work surfaces and cupboards and drawers under them are made from a re-cycled kitchen with a little strengthening and bracing. The laminate faced tops make a good solid surface and the cupboards and drawers plenty of space for my tools and such.

                    Although my shop is smaller I do have the big advantage that it is a separate room so is not shared with a living are so that probably makes up for your bigger area.

                    I do have a larger garage space in the garden but having a warm room in the house is very nice, With the door closed I can work late if I want without disturbing the family or neighbour or simply hide the mess without having to clean up immediately

                    Gerry W
                    Leeds UK
                     ________________________________
                    > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: avr@...
                    > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:31:18 -0400
                    > Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: new forum member
                    >

                    > Dude! Talk about limited space: Take a look at my "Live-in-Shop" - a
                    > lathe and a mill and electronics all in a 10'x11' den!
                    >
                    > http://www.avrdev.net
                    >
                    > Lotsa pix on the setup - might give you some ideas.
                    >
                    > =Alan R
                    >

                    > On 3/25/2014 8:47 PM,
                    > donald.latch@...<mailto:donald.latch@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > Thanks all for the welcome.
                    >
                    > I worked in a few job shops right out of high school way back in the
                    > 70's before CNC. Now I would love to have a hobby machine shop. My
                    > space is as limited as my budget so, a mini machine shop it will have
                    > to be.
                    >
                    > I build and race 1/24th scale slot cars and the mini mill is quite
                    > adequate for that purpose. Next year I figure to get the small lathe
                    > and hobby on.
                    >
                    > As for the loping in the screws, I thought the bushing nuts had to be
                    > loose to float. I will expirement with the suggestions to align them
                    > and tighten them at the ends.

                  • Alan Reinhart
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 26, 2014
                      Gerry -

                      Yes - my shop is in a den-area that is visible through out the apartment...  even though visitors are rare, I do want to keep the 'apartment' part and the 'shop' part a bit separate.  I have limited my self to just having a hacksaw as I don't think one of the classic 4"x6" HF cut-off saws would quite fit.  Had one years ago in my now-gone basement shop... they are def the thing to have.

                      One of my most used 'tool's is the shop-vac!  I still have a carpeted floor in this room, and I can pretty much keep ahead of the swarf with constant vigilance - but there is glints of AL and steel chips that never quite seem to go away.

                      I do have a rather large bedroom and have thought I should have moved the bed to the den, and made the bedroom my 'tech-center'... would be much better used that way.

                      Having an 'agreeable companion' goes a long way in make such a small space work... If I didn't live alone this would have never happened!

                      Hmm - 8ft x 6ft...   That is a real 'submarine' kind of workspace!  I once had a darkroom which was a work-surface mounted over the bathtub... you had a 'roof' when you took a bath...   LOL!

                      If you send a few pix I'll add them to my site - in fact if anybody reading this would like me to add your shop pix to my site, contact me off list and I'll be glad to add a section for you.

                      =Alan R.

                      To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                      From: avr@...
                      Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:31:18 -0400
                      Subject: Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: new forum member

[...]

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          GrizHFMinimill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          GrizHFMinimill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • Webb Pinner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 26, 2014
                        Funny thing about that bandsaw problem (and completely off topic)… here is the solution I ended up going with:

                        Picked up a portaband off craigslist and was good to go.

                        Total cost wasn't much less than a used HF bandsaw but it's better made (in the USA) than anything from HF (China) and it's right-sized for the rest of my equipment.

                        It breaks down in 5 minutes and fits in a tote when not needed… also nice.

                        -W

                        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 26, 2014
                          Hi Alan
                          I really wanted a band-saw and with the restricted space managed to  find a smaller one, it looks like a 4x6 that shrunk in the wash it's got a smaller footprint but doesn't lose out too much in capacity about 3 1/2 x5 which is fine for me. My shop had a fitted carpet from it's former life as a bedroom and I left it in place as it is not just a machine shop but hobby room.

                          I fitted a row of loose-lay interlocking plastic tiles in front of the lathe and mill and topped them with perforated rubber door mats, about 5/16" thick with 1" holes. This combination is very comfortable to work standing for long periods (I do have a tall stool so can work seated also) And the holes in the mats work very well in trapping chips or swarf that gets down to the floor and stops it being trafficked into the house.

                          I have a small shop-vac that gets a regular work out, I generally like to clean up at the end of every session and put my tools away. In a small space it gets cluttered quickly if you don't.

                          Building land and property has always been expensive here in the UK (and getting worse) compared with some other countries so average homes tend to be small. My third (child's) bedroom is fairly typical in size.My house was built 1936 and I used to think the rooms quite small but many modern ones are even smaller. It is cosy (no shop classes possible) but with shelf space,cupboards and drawers aplenty it works well as long as you keep it tidy.

                          I'd be pleased to send some photo's if you want to add them to your site, they might give someone more ideas.
                          I need to get my camera back form someone I lent it to so it will be a few days.

                          Gerry W
                          Leeds UK
                          ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 27, 2014
                              As far as the handles' tendency to alternately rotate freely and then bind up, maybe I can help a little.  I observed the same thing (but on the X axis) when I substantially loosened the gib screws.  I did this because I made a replacement gib but discovered that I had to move the table in order to remove/replace the old gib.  When turning the X axis handle it would do this bind/release thing, probably because turning the crank would cause the lead screw to wobble.  Tightening the gib screws down again put a stop to it.   So if something in the drive chain ( so to speak) is free to wiggle some you could get the same kind of problem.  Easy enough to test.

                              Mark
                            • Alan Reinhart
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 27, 2014
                                Speaking of this sort of 'binding' of the feed-screws on the x-axis:  I installed (out of the box) the LMS 20 TPI leadscrew kit in their Hi-Torque X2 mill.  After I reassembled it, I found the X axis wasn't turning freely and had that periodic binding.

                                What I did was use some of the plastic shim (from LMS - $7 kit) and put some under the corner of the blue end plate (which supports the screw and crank handle) - about .02 or so and it was magic!

                                =A.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 27, 2014
                                  Hi Alan, Gerry & all,
                                      You got me thinking about my "hole in the wall" workshop so much that I just popped out, trusty tape measure in hand and did some measuring.
                                          As I live in a unit space is at a premium but there was enough space for a small garden type shed at the back. It is 5'5" wide 11'5" long - weird I guess but that is what fitted and was custom made.

                                      So, standing at my lathe (Seig 7x12 clone), mill (Seig X2) or el-cheapo drill press and 6" grinder, I can reach the wall behind me so many of my tools are hung on whatever wall is nearest where they will most likely be used. Flat horizontal surfaces being precious for putting current project bits on.

                                          A small metal band saw is on the wish list but apart from finding the $ little to no room left for it.

                                          Perhaps we are starting a small workshop group by default?
                                  regards,

                                  John B
                                • Joe V31JP
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 27, 2014
                                    Hi, John.

                                    Several guys on the 7X12 group have those small portable band saws and add/adapt a table to them.
                                    Quite the spacers like that, too!

                                    A general small shop group might be good.  It might allow OT on the specific groups to be reduced.

                                    --
                                    Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
                                    P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
                                    (Hopkins Village) Belize
                                    011-501-503-7346 Belize
                                    011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
                                    or
                                    5204 Texas Highway 49 W
                                    Omaha, TX 75571-6474
                                    U.S.A.
                                    903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
                                    903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
                                    Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
                                    PG1915841
                                    Skype: v31joepalooka
                                    Facebook: Joe Pontek
                                    I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
                                    V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691

                                  • gerry waclawiak
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 28, 2014
                                      The problem is common and is often caused by the screw nut block being improperly located in the x (table) or y casting during initial assembly at the factory.

                                      The nut block is a loose fit in a rectangular pocket in the sliding casting and is secured by a couple of head-less Allen screws to hold it when positioned in the same axis as the operating screw.

                                      Usually the screw binds as you wind the nut closer to the operating handle and it binds because the block is not aligned to the screw.

                                      This can be corrected by slackening the securing screws and winding fully so the nut is as close to the handle as possible. This will align the nut to the screw and you should then tighten the screws to secure the block in its pocket.

                                      This should reduce or eliminate any binding and it should reduce as the nut gets further from the handle as the end of the screw is free-floating.If you get binding at a section during each rotation of the operating handle this is usually a result of a bent operating screw. They can be straightened with care

                                      Gerry W
                                      Leeds UK