Reverse rotation on a HF mini mill

  • Pat Mchenry
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 29, 2003
      Can the H F mini be modified to run in reverse rotation, anyone tried
      this before?
    • Rick Kruger
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
        Yes, it can. A friend rewired his as part of a belt drive conversion. I
        posted a short piece on it a while back.
        http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/Mills/G8689-MiniMill/Projects-Mods/DriveBeltMod/MillBeltMod.html

        There isn't wiring information on this page, but its an easy addition of
        the switch. Should be straightforward to figure out.

        Rick

        At 07:12 AM 11/30/03 +0000, you wrote:
        >Can the H F mini be modified to run in reverse rotation, anyone tried
        >this before?
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups
        >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c573ic3/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705063697:HM/EXP=1070375350/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

      • john r johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
          Can the motor be wired to reverse?

          Look at the motor tag or plate and it will tell you if
          it is reversible. If not remove the covewr plate and
          see if there are two lugs that do not have wires
          attached.

          We can go from there.

          --- Pat Mchenry <restoreit1@...> wrote:
          > Can the H F mini be modified to run in reverse
          > rotation, anyone tried
          > this before?

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • ljack70117@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
            On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 02:12 AM, Pat Mchenry wrote:

            > Can the H F mini be modified to run in reverse rotation, anyone tried
            > this before?
            I have a Central Machinery mill I got from Harbor freight It has a
            reversing switch on it.
            To answer your question: yes any motor can be reversed if you know what
            you are doing.
            Thank you
            Larry Jackman
            I don't who you are fat man. Get that sleigh and raindeer of my roof.
          • Cletus L. Berkeley
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2003

              A simple Double-Pole-Double-Throw toggle switch between the motor leads and Drive PCB should do it. Don't see an application for it though.

              1                  2

              3                  4

              5                   6

              First, remove the motor connections from the driver PCB.

              Assuming the above are the terminals on the DPDT Switch, Connect 1 to 6 and 2 to 5.  Then connect 1 and 2 to 1 and 2 on the PCB finally connect 3 and 4 to the motor  .....Voila a instant motor reverse.  (DO NOT REVERSE A RUNNING MOTOR ...DOING SO WILL SURELY KILL YOUR SPED CONTROLLER).

              Hope this helps.

              Cheers, Cletus

              Pat Mchenry <restoreit1@...> wrote:
              Can the H F mini be modified to run in reverse rotation, anyone tried
              this before?

              From the desk of:
              Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE

              WARNING: This electronic document may contain privileged and/or proprietary information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and subsequently destroy the document/file. Unlawful copying and/or dissemination of the information/data contained herein may be treated as copyright infringement and prosecuted as such.

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
                Power tapping. Rick

                At 03:57 AM 12/4/03 -0800, you wrote:

                >A simple Double-Pole-Double-Throw toggle switch between the motor leads
                >and Drive PCB should do it. Don't see an application for it though.
                ...snip...
                > From the desk of:
                >Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE
              • jjfear
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Power untapping. ;-)

                  Jerry Fear

                  --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...> wrote:
                  > Power tapping. Rick
                  >
                  > At 03:57 AM 12/4/03 -0800, you wrote:
                  >

                  > >A simple Double-Pole-Double-Throw toggle switch between the motor
                  leads
                  > >and Drive PCB should do it. Don't see an application for it though.
                  > ...snip...
                  > > From the desk of:
                  > >Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE
                • Rick Kruger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2003
                    That was included in what I meant... :-)

                    Rick

                    At 01:33 AM 12/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Power untapping. ;-)
                    >
                    >Jerry Fear
                    >

                    >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...> wrote:
                    > > Power tapping. Rick
                    > >
                    > > At 03:57 AM 12/4/03 -0800, you wrote:
                    > >

                    > > >A simple Double-Pole-Double-Throw toggle switch between the motor
                    >leads
                    > > >and Drive PCB should do it. Don't see an application for it though.
                    > > ...snip...
                    > > > From the desk of:
                    > > >Cletus L. Berkeley, MIEEE
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • jjfear
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2003
                      Actusally, i thought you'd tell me you were doing left hand threads.

                      Jerry

                      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...> wrote:
                      > That was included in what I meant... :-)
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > At 01:33 AM 12/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >Power untapping. ;-)
                      > >
                      > >Jerry Fear
                      > >

                      > >--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@p...>
                      wrote:
                      > > > Power tapping. Rick

                      > >leads
                      > > > ...snip...
                      > >

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • kmcmachineworks
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
                        Also there are reverse cutter drills and end mills as well as fly
                        cutting applications which all depends on if the cut you need to make
                        shoots chips in the wrong direction {like your face....} you can use
                        the opposite type cutter and send them the other way.

                        KMc
                      • kmcmachineworks
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
                          2nd try at this post/reply

                          Also there are reverse drills and end mills as well as fly cutting
                          applications which all depends on if the cut you need to make shoots
                          chips in the wrong direction {your faceĀ…} you can use the opposite
                          type cutter and send them the other way.

                          KMc
                        • wmgeorge2002
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 27, 2004
                            So for drilling and tapping, variable speed, and reversing the power
                            to back the tap out... done lots of time on my VFD equipped big mill-
                            drill.
                            How does this this work out on the Mini-Mill Drill? I need to
                            downsize my shop to make room for another project. B.G.

                            -- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "kmcmachineworks"
                            <kmcmachineworks@y...> wrote:
                            > Also there are reverse cutter drills and end mills as well as fly
                            > cutting applications which all depends on if the cut you need to
                            make
                            > shoots chips in the wrong direction {like your face....} you can
                            use
                            > the opposite type cutter and send them the other way.
                            >

                            > KMc
                          • Jerry S.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 29, 2004
                              B.G.
                                  If you got $100 you can buy a Mill/Drill Tapping Attachment w/auto reverse from H.F. item# 46343-0mja. That seems a little costly unless you are doing a lot of tapping. I have used one when I did that for a living and it works great.
                              Jerry S.
                              Hell, MI