Suggestions for mill/drill upgrade

  • azk7tv
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2013
      I am thinking of replacing my HF X2 mini-mill with something bigger. The Grizzly G0704 attracts me with its large table and travel. But it doesn't seem to be "heavy duty". What kind of limitations would I see in terms of cutting speed and flexing? How would it compare in those respects to the G0463 at a similar price, or the G0720R (much more expensive)?
    • a rien
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2013
        If you do a google search you will get more info on that G0704. I do recall that one person did a lot of modifying to get it to work the way he wanted. If I were to move up from the X2, I think I'd go for a Super X3.
        Anthony

        Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Suggestions for mill/drill upgrade
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2013
          Hi,

          I have owned a G0704 for a bit more than a year. It is a good machine and a lot more capable than an X2. I cose it over the X3 because it was cheaper and enjoys an excellent reputation with European hobbiests, where it is known as the BL20. The G0704 is also quickly becoming the darling of CNC conversions. It features tapered gibs rather than flat, just like industrial machines. The larger table travel is nice, particularly the nearly 7" of y axis travel. For me, the biggest draw back is the motor. I work with a lot of steel. The low speed power of the nominal 1hp motor leaves much to be desired for me. At 360rpms or faster, it works very well. A 1" endmill can easily take a .100" deep cut in steels. But below that speed, power and torque drops quickly. This might not seem to matter much. Until you want to run a boring head. I will be swapping in a 3/4 or 1hp 3ph motor with VFD to solve this problem. Over all, the 704 hits well above it's weight class in the home shop.

          Dale