My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!

  • Cotter W. Sayre
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2013

      Hi Guys,

      Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly S-X3 Mill  downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal.  The faster I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am plunging into stock or not.  I have oiled everything that they tell you to oil, but no joy.  As extra info, the mill is only about four months old and is used only for aluminum.  Any ideas?

      Thanks!

      -Bill

    • dave greenham
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 15, 2013
        Hi Bill
        What you say sounds like a bearing going.
        Check the finish on your work, if it's the bearing, you'll find ridges on the finish you'll feel them with your finger. I understand it's only 4 myths old but that makes no difference. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps if the gears are plastic/ nylon that you may have broken a tooth, but you should feel that through the m/c. Sorry can't be more help
        Regards
        Dave U.K.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 15 Nov 2013, at 03:42, "Cotter W. Sayre" <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:

        Hi Guys,

        Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly S-X3 Mill  downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal.  The faster I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am plunging into stock or not.  I have oiled everything that they tell you to oil, but no joy.  As extra info, the mill is only about four months old and is used only for aluminum.  Any ideas?

        Thanks!

        -Bill

      • Jeremy Winder
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 15, 2013
          If you purchased it from Grizzly, give them a call or email. Their support has been awesome on the couple issues I've had on my G0704.

          --
          Jeremy - Columbus, GA USA
        • Cotter W. Sayre

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2013
                Hi, Bill,

                I had something similar happen to my Real Bull, and ended up having to replace the spindle bearings.  This was after I did a modification to belt drive to reduce the gear noise, which was sometimes so loud I had to wear hearing protection while milling.  In the end, I'm learned a lot changing the bearings, but the mill was down for almost 4 weeks.  In my case, they started to squeal as soon as I put almost any load on them or even if I ran them up to over about 1300 RPM without a load.  Hopefully that's not the problem in your case, and Grizzly can help you out.

                Good luck!

                Charlie
                New Jersey, USA

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 17, 2013

                  Thanks guys;   looks like I'll have to give Grizzly a call.  (I had thought that maybe the aluminum chips got caught in a bearing, thus causing the squeal, but I just don't know).

                  Thanks again,

                  -Bill
                • SirJohnOfYork
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 17, 2013
                    On 11/14/2013 8:05 PM, Cotter W. Sayre wrote:

                    Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly S-X3 Mill  downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal.  The faster I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am plunging into stock or not.  I have oiled everything that they tell you to oil, but no joy.  As extra info, the mill is only about four months old and is used only for aluminum.  Any ideas?

                     Since I have an X2 not an X3, I took a look at the review of the original X3 over at Mini-Lathe.com:
                    http://www.mini-lathe.com/X3_mill/X3rvw/X3.htm

                     Examining the pictures there, it shows a Z-Axis (up & down) leadscrew inside the column, that is cranked by the z-axis handwheel on the front right of the machine. I see the leadscrew is supported by bearings top and bottom.

                     Does the machine squeak/squeal going up/down even when the machine is not running? You can look at the pictures there and see how things look before you tear yours down to inspect things. There are z-axis leadscrew bearings and I suppose they could certainly squeal if there is something wrong there.

                     Somebody with an X3 will have to speak up, but I *think* I read somewhere / sometime that the X3 already comes with those cool tapered roller bearings for the spindle, that a number of X2 owners have upgraded to from the factory stock ball bearings the X2's come with. This doesn't mean yours are good, just that if you have to replace them they should be a direct replacement, not a conversion with modifying spacers and whatnot to make things work. (The upgrade from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings is also common on the 7x mini-lathe spindles - people who have done this all seem very satisfied with some very real improvement.)

                     Hopefully you can study the review photos inked to above, and then be better prepared to take yours apart enough to track down the problem and kill it. Z-axis leadscrew bearings, spindle bearings, and the gib strip. Oh, and all the handwheels have ball bearings too in case the z-axis handwheel itself is out of whack somehow, so follow and inspect the entire z-axis drive train, so to speak. Can't think of anything else that could get noisy ONLY when the head is moving down... (What could be fun is if you are forgetting to unlock the gib strip lock-lever before moving the head up or down, making all that z-axis hardware work extra hard and complain about it. I kind of doubt something that easy is happening though. :-)

                     Good Luck!
                     John Z.

                  • Cotter W. Sayre

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
                        These hobby machines are built down to a prie and generally use fairly cheap automative grade bearings and it does happen you get the odd duff one.

                        they're not difficult to change and fairly cheap unless you upgrade to a better class  but if the mill is only 4 months old I presume you would be covered by the original warranty

                        Gerry W
                        Leeds UK
                        ________________________________
                        > To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: clevinski@...
                        > Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:10:29 -0800
                        > Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!
                        >

                        > Hi, Bill,
                        >
                        > I had something similar happen to my Real Bull, and ended up having to
                        > replace the spindle bearings. This was after I did a modification to
                        > belt drive to reduce the gear noise, which was sometimes so loud I had
                        > to wear hearing protection while milling. In the end, I'm learned a
                        > lot changing the bearings, but the mill was down for almost 4 weeks.
                        > In my case, they started to squeal as soon as I put almost any load on
                        > them or even if I ran them up to over about 1300 RPM without a load.
                        > Hopefully that's not the problem in your case, and Grizzly can help you
                        > out.
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > Charlie
                        > New Jersey, USA
                        >

                        > ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > Hi Guys,
                        >

                        > Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly
                        > S-X3 Mill downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal. The faster
                        > I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am
                        > plunging into stock or not. I have oiled everything that they tell you
                        > to oil, but no joy. As extra info, the mill is only about four months
                        > old and is used only for aluminum. Any ideas?
                        >

                        > Thanks!
                        >

                        > -Bill

                      • billcalley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013

                          Hi All,

                          Well, I phoned Grizzly tech support, and spoke to someone named 'John'.   Not only did he not instantly know what an "Sieg S-X3 Mill" even was, he needed the exact Grizzly part number to look it up.  And even THEN, I could tell by his comments that he didn't have a clue about that particular (and HUGELY popular) Grizzly milling machine.

                          I then told him the exact issue I was having (deafening squeal while cranking DOWN on the Z-axis, motor can be on or off), and his suggestion was to remove the S-X3's motor belt and see if it still squealed.  When I again told him it did this with or without the motor rotating, he said, "OK, so it squeals only on the UP motion of the hand-crank"...   It went downhill from there.

                          This idiocy went on for another ten minutes, but I don't want to bore you fine gentleman with his clueless suggestions.

                          Definitely disappointed with Grizzly Tech Support, to say the least.

                          Best,

                          -Bill

                        • <hugh@...>
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 18, 2013
                            John,
                            could you forward the email below to the GrizHFMiniMill forum – I’m having a problem with my email account registered with it!

                            hello Bill,
                            as has been mentioned already, the leadscrew nut could be highly suspect.
                            If you’ve had the noise from day 1, then the nut may have been tightened in the factory out of alignment to the plate which is an interface between column and head. If the noise is recent then the nut may just be loose. It’s straightforward to fix – although we’re used to the Real Bull and Weiss machines and the Sieg might be different but I would imagine that the head needs to come off from that plate where you should see how to tighten the nut. Loosen it first if tight, then tighten it to the optimum position by turning the l/screw handle.
                            Failing that, you’ll need to examine the bevel gear but how you get to that I would not know as the brands mentioned above have the handle up top.
                            Hope that helps,
                            Hugh
                            Amadeal London UK

                            Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 4:49 PM
                            Subject: RE: RE: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: My Grizzly S-X3 Mill SQUEALS!

> [...]

                            > In my case, they started to squeal as soon as I put almost any load on
                            > them or even if I ran them up to over about 1300 RPM without a load.
                            > Hopefully that's not the problem in your case, and Grizzly can help you
                            > out.
                            >
                            > Good luck!
                            >
                            > Charlie
                            > New Jersey, USA
                            >

                            > ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > Hi Guys,
                            >

                            > Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly
                            > S-X3 Mill downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal. The faster
                            > I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am
                            > plunging into stock or not. I have oiled everything that they tell you
                            > to oil, but no joy. As extra info, the mill is only about four months
                            > old and is used only for aluminum. Any ideas?

                          • verncoc
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013

                               As with all tech support you do get untrained people trying to help. Call back again and I'm sure you will get someone else and if you don't just ask to speak to someone else. I have had nothing but good experiences with Grizzly when I had to call, but that was with mostly woodworking machines.

                              Vern

                              ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <COTTERSAY@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              > In my case, they started to squeal as soon as I put almost any load on
                              > them or even if I ran them up to over about 1300 RPM without a load.
                              > Hopefully that's not the problem in your case, and Grizzly can help you
                              > out.
                              >
                              > Good luck!
                              >
                              > Charlie
                              > New Jersey, USA
                              >

                              > ---In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <cotter.sayre@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > Hi Guys,
                              >

                              > Hoping someone can help me out, because when I crank my Grizzly
                              > S-X3 Mill downward, it gives off an ear splitting squeal. The faster
                              > I crank, the louder the noise, and it occurs whether or not I am
                              > plunging into stock or not. I have oiled everything that they tell you
                              > to oil, but no joy. As extra info, the mill is only about four months
                              > old and is used only for aluminum. Any ideas?

                            • gerry waclawiak
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 19, 2013
                                This is a typical problem with most "box-shifter" stores (although I gather that Grizzly are better than most), mainly the chains where technical knowledge and after sales can be poor or non existent. Staff are few in number poorly trained and paid and have little opportunity to learn about the products they sell or even what support they can offer.

                                Sometimes as customers who often wabt to buy at the lowest possible price we get the support we deserve.

                                That is why the likes of LMS (and similar, I am in the UK and not a customer) can thrive in fiiling in with spares, accessories and support.

                                Gerry W
                                Leeds UK