Silicon carbide end mill holding.

  • art9999@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013
      I recently had need for a 3/16" silicon carbide end mill to cut hardened steel. I had to buy an R8 end mill adapter since the end mill did not come with a shaft diameter that fit my HSS end mill holder (3/8").

       To my surprise the silicon carbide end mill did NOT have a flat on the shaft for the set screw in the holder to grab.  Nonetheless it worked ok for this job.

      Would I have been better off with a 3/16" ER collet which I could tighten with "a lot of muscle"  and would have uniformly grabbed the end mill shaft??

      Thanks,

      Art
    • Malcolm Tulloch
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2013
        Hello Art,
        Well it seemed to work OK for you, but I must say the ER collet system is very flexible with diameters, I also use mine to
        hold small jobs in my lathe.
        All the best,
        Malc.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 14, 2013
          Hello Art.
          You can only use an ER 32 collet with an ER 32 collet holder,I am assuming you have these?
          or are you using a tool holder with a R 8 taper.I'm a bit confused.
          Also the flat on the end mill is superfluous with this ER type of securing.
          You dont need a lot of ""muscle""  with these collets,there are 16 slots in the collets that close down uniformly
          around the end mill shank when you tighten up with the special locking nut.
          Normal range of grip is for example 16mm dia closes down to 15 mm dia,largest collet in this ER range 20 mm dia  and smallest 2 mm dia.IE 1 mm decrements.
          see link,this may help you.
          John
          Spain