X2 spindle

  • lyles_43
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
      Does the Sieg X2 (Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc) spindle have an internal thread at the top like the X1 ? If so, what size is it?
    • SirJohnOfYork
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
         No internal threads. The HF and many other X2's have R8 spindles. R8 collets are threaded internally on top for a 7/16-20 drawbar that comes down through the top of the spindle and pulls the R8 collet up tight into the spindle. I am not sure about the X2 versions with the MT3 spindles, but I believe they use a drawbar that threads into the MT3 collets in the same manner, and so would probably not have internal threads in the top of the spindle either.

         There are _external_ threads on top of the spindle that a big spanner style nut fits onto. Mine was long ago adapted to the LMS belt drive conversion kit
        http://lmscnc.com/2560
        but it uses the same big factory nut, visible right over the double pulley.

        On 10/28/2013 6:27 PM, LyleStephens@... wrote:

        Does the Sieg X2 (Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc) spindle have an internal thread at the top like the X1 ? If so, what size is it?

        __.

      • Harvey White
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2013
          On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:02:51 -0400, you wrote:

          > No internal threads. The HF and many other X2's have R8 spindles. R8
          >collets are threaded internally on top for a 7/16-20 drawbar that comes
          >down through the top of the spindle and pulls the R8 collet up tight
          >into the spindle. I am not sure about the X2 versions with the MT3
          >spindles, but I believe they use a drawbar that threads into the MT3
          >collets in the same manner, and so would probably not have internal
          >threads in the top of the spindle either.

          The MT3 spindle has a top cap with a hole in it. The drawbar goes
          through that and pulls up on the collet. If you remove that top cap
          and the drawbar, the spindle is mostly hollow (IIRC).

          Harvey

          > There are _external_ threads on top of the spindle that a big spanner
          >style nut fits onto. Mine was long ago adapted to the LMS belt drive
          >conversion kit
          >http://lmscnc.com/2560
          >but it uses the same big factory nut, visible right over the double pulley.
          >
          >On 10/28/2013 6:27 PM, LyleStephens@... wrote:
          >>
          >> Does the Sieg X2 (Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc) spindle have an
          >> internal thread at the top like the X1 ? If so, what size is it?
          >>
          >> __.
        • chucketn
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2013

             LMS has drawings of both spindles R8 and MT3 here:

            http://littlemachineshop.com/products/drawings/1407SpindleR8.pdf

            http://littlemachineshop.com/products/drawings/1508Spindle3MT.pdf

            Chuck