Trueing a drill chuck

  • Jeremy Winder
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2013
      Last weekend I used the drill chuck, that came with my G0704, for the first time in months. I almost exclusively use collets; but I didn't have the correct sized collect for what I was doing.

      When I chucked the center drill and turned on the mill it was obvious it wasn't running true. I reseated the center drill to ensure it wasn't crooked in the drill chuck and got the same thing. I then tried a different center drill, same result.

      I appears the chuck itself is seated correctly on the arbor. Is there a method I can use to true up the jaws/internals so it will run the drill bits truer?

      Thanks in advance,

      --
      Jeremy - Columbus, GA USA
    • dalee1002000
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2013
        Hi,

        A hazzard of cheap import chucks. The chuck I got with my G0704 does work pretty well though. I do have an Albrecht chuck and arbor though for more trusted accuracy.

        Tricks to try.

        Be sure that your drill is straight and not slightly bent. They do make stinkers sometimes.

        Clean the jaws. (You've done that though)

        When tightening, tighten all three holes with the key. You'd be surprised at how well that can "true up" a bad chuck.

        Remove the chuck from the arbor and closely inspect the arbor and the mating hole in the chuck for damage and dirt. The surfaces must be extra clean and burr free to mate correctly. It is also possible that the Jacobs taper that fits the chuck isn't concentric with the R8 part. Install  into mill spindle and place an indicator on the short taper. Turn spindle by hand and observe indicator. A new arbor may need to be purchased.

        The chuck itself may be bad. I would strongly urge replacement if that's the case.

        Over all, drills are not expected to be high accuracy tooling. But one should expect to get decent sizing if everything is as good as can be.

        Sent from Samsung tablet