Rotary broaching for lathe and mill

  • mparkerlisberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2013
      I found this link to a commercial company demonstrating rotary broaching on the lathe and mill. An image is better than a thousand words to see how it works, see:
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpWcl1BKVk>

      Malcolm
    • superc_53
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014

        I like that.  Can't tell you how many times I mess up on one side or the other when fabricating a hex bolt by indexing.  Twould be kind of neat to have a tool bit that puts a perfect 9/16 or 1/4 inch hex head on a rod (potential new bolt) with just one downstroke.

      • drmico60
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2014

          It is possible to do rotary broaching on both the lathe and mill with very simple equipment,see:

          http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/rotary-broaching.html

          and

          http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/rotary-broaching-on-the-mill.html

          I have used these methods successfully to make hexagon holes in steel aluminium and plastics.

          Mike