Re: Igaging mounting hardware?

  • Neri Carmi
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
      BTW, no intention to hijack the thread (just to add to it)
      here is my take for the 3.3v regulated power for the iGaging display
    • a rien
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 30, 2013
        One of the best sources for metric bolts, and nuts that I've found is
        Ace Hardware stores. They also usually have a thread pitch board.
        However, if you intend to do much hobby machining thread pitch gauge's ought to be a must have.
        Anthony

        Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Igaging mounting hardware?
        To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, September 29, 2013, 4:17 PM

        I guess I get to thank myself!  As part of the
        no-new-holes approach I was removing the Z axis ruler
        (mounted on the left side of the column) & noticed that
        the screws looked a lot like the ones that came with the
        Igaging DROs.  A quick check showed they were a perfect
        fit.  So the screws are M3.

        Mark

        ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com,
        <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I recently bought
        3 12" Igaging DRO's with remote readouts to install
        on my SX2 mill.  I'm going to try the clever
        no-new-holes approach described by a post on Binary Task
        Force's web page.

        As part of this I will need longer screws to mount the
        sensors on the mill.  However, the user
        "manual" doesn't have any specifics regarding
        the screws, like the size/pitch.

        The screws provided measure about .115" in diameter,
        which is close to 3mm.  Can anyone confirm this?
        I don't have any 3mm screws on hand to directly check.

        TIA,

        Mark
      • Art Port
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
          Hi,
              I’ve been a lurker here for a looong time. Can someone tell me why I can’t use the URL’s posted in the messages? I noticed that (at least on MY computer) they have gaps in the typing – I’m assuming to stop SPAM. So I delete the gaps and STILL get a response that the URL is useless. Any ideas?
          Thanks,
          Art
        • Harvey White
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
            On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 19:17:31 -0400, you wrote:

            >Hi,
            > I’ve been a lurker here for a looong time. Can someone tell me why I can’t use the URL’s posted in the messages? I noticed that (at least on MY computer) they have gaps in the typing – I’m assuming to stop SPAM. So I delete the gaps and STILL get a response that the URL is useless. Any ideas?

            The URLs are formatted by Yahoo in whatever way it wishes. The URL
            has to follow a normal format to be useful.

            I'll put in a URL to a website that at least, for me, is reachable.
            Let's see if you can get there.

            www.dragonworks.info

            Note that there is no period after the URL

            Harvey

            >Thanks,
            >Art
          • Art Port
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 2, 2013
              Huh. Thanks for offering the help. As delivered it has a gap in it between the dot and INFO. I figured that would definitely screw it up, and “maliciously” pasted it as it was but it worked anyway!
              Then I “cleaned” it up and THAT worked too.
              So I went back to a mail a few days ago and cut and pasted  http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/
              When I tried that, I got zippo again
              A little too random to make any conclusions.
              Any idea?
              Thanks again,
              Art
            • tcyclist
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 2, 2013
                Can you provide a link to the post you refer to? I am unable to find it with an internet search.
              • markkimball2000
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 3, 2013
                  Wow, a post that actually refers to the original topic :)

                  See:

                  http://www.binarytaskforce.com/Weblog/2010/07/05/minimill-dro-installation/

                  I also like the described approach because:
                  1.  The X axis DRO is behind, not in front, of the table.  No chance of interfering with the locking lever, and less exposed to harm.
                  2.  The Y axis DRO is on the left side of the table.  Also out of the way of the locking lever.
                  3.  The Z axis DRO is on the left side of the column, out of the way of the locking lever, Z axis  stop block and fast-Z handles.

                  I'm using remote-reading DRO's because the locations won't work very well with the ones that have the readouts on the sensor head.  If you use remote reading DRO's you get a lot more choices as far as placement goes.

                  The blog doesn't mention anything about methods to keep swarf/cutting fluids away from the DRO's.  That bit of engineering is up to the rest of us to figure out, but shouldn't be too difficult.

                  I haven't done this yet so can't say how noise-sensitive the setup will be.  There are some indications that YMMV in this regard.  If I run into that problem I will get some braided shielding, slip it over the cables & solder one end to ground (the DRO ground).

                  Mechanically speaking this approach is a little more complicated because the X and Y DROs share a common piece.  For that reason I'm doing it in a sequence that will (hopefully) ease the problem of getting good alignments to avoid binding problems.

                  -Mark

                  ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Can you provide a link to the post you refer to? I am unable to find it with an internet search.
                • John Lindo
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 3, 2013
                    This might help if you own a Weiss mill.
                    No DRO Z axis as the mill has an inbuilt DRO for the quill movement,a much better in my opinion,and the Z axis
                    has a graduated dial and scale,for approximate depth setting within 0.01MM
                    The 1 photo shows the brass stop block so as to avoid over extending the Y axis DRO and hitting the frame.I lost about 3/4" of travel.No big tragedy.
                    Y axis to the left,the r/h side has the 2 locking clamps (yes 2 on a Weiss) and rear mounting for the X axis,same reason and is out of the way under the rubber covers.
                    Works out well.

                    John
                    Spain.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013
                      I'm sorry, I thought I did. It was in a post from Digest 3988 which I copied below.
                      Thanks for your trouble, and if you think we should take this off-list, I'm good with that.
                      Art

                      Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                      "Neri Carmi" nericarmi

                      BTW, no intention to hijack the thread (just to add to it)
                      here is my take for the 3.3v regulated power for the iGaging display
                      http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/

                      When I copied and pasted it, I got this result

                      Your search - http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/ - did not match any documents.
                      Suggestions:
                      • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
                      • Try different keywords.
                      • Try more general keywords.
                      • Try fewer keywords.

                      Search Results

                        Ad related to http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets ...

                        1. Flickr Photos

                          www.ask.com/Flickr+Photos
                          Search for Flickr Photos Look Up Quick Results now!
                      1. Art Port
                        I just got it again in today s post about DRO s  The URL gives a Can t find Art Re: Igaging mounting hardware? Thu Oct 3, 2013 8:13 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                        Message 10 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

                          http://www.binaryta skforce.com/ Weblog/2010/ 07/05/minimill- dro-ins&# 92;

                          Message 11 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

                            On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Art Port <artp10306@...> wrote:

[...]

                            1. Neri Carmi
                              and this is my install http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157633879256881/
                              Message 12 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

[...]

                                1. robert M
                                  ... Here is the trick on this guys: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/ This is a modified version of the real URL; it will not
                                  Message 13 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                                    On 10/4/2013 6:41 AM, Art Port wrote:
                                    http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/
                                    Here is the trick on this guys:

                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/

                                    This is a modified version of the real URL; it will not appear as I have typed it. Yahoo will modify it for some reason by adding random spaces! Or, it could be the settings in your browser.

                                    "http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/"

                                    MIGHT COME THROUGH PROPERLY BETWEEN QUOTES, OR NOT.

                                    Below is another attempt, replace asterisks with periods, ampersands with backslashes, and remove any spaces.

                                    http:&&www*flickr*com&photos&73243110@N04&sets&72157636045455504&

                                    Bob
                                  • Art Port
                                    Message 14 of 17 , Oct 7, 2013
                                      Well,
                                      I was feeling pretty smooth, having success last night, and now when I pasted every one of your suggestions in, with the suggested modifications, I'm back to FAIL.
                                      Thanks anyway,
                                      Art