Igaging mounting hardware?

  • markkimball2000
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 29 11:45 AM
      I recently bought 3 12" Igaging DRO's with remote readouts to install on my SX2 mill.  I'm going to try the clever no-new-holes approach described by a post on Binary Task Force's web page.

      As part of this I will need longer screws to mount the sensors on the mill.  However, the user "manual" doesn't have any specifics regarding the screws, like the size/pitch.

      The screws provided measure about .115" in diameter, which is close to 3mm.  Can anyone confirm this?  I don't have any 3mm screws on hand to directly check.

      TIA,

      Mark
    • markkimball2000

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 29 7:29 PM
          How's about Home Depot or lowes if you don't have thread pitch Gage's . They have a board u can try your screws on at the home improvement stores , me personally I take my tap and die set and line up the screw with Corresponding tap then run the tap thru the hole to be sure it fits easily!
        • Neri Carmi
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 30 4:30 AM
            BTW, no intention to hijack the thread (just to add to it)
            here is my take for the 3.3v regulated power for the iGaging display
          • a rien
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 30 3:12 PM
              One of the best sources for metric bolts, and nuts that I've found is
              Ace Hardware stores. They also usually have a thread pitch board.
              However, if you intend to do much hobby machining thread pitch gauge's ought to be a must have.
              Anthony

              Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Igaging mounting hardware?
              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                Hi,
                    I’ve been a lurker here for a looong time. Can someone tell me why I can’t use the URL’s posted in the messages? I noticed that (at least on MY computer) they have gaps in the typing – I’m assuming to stop SPAM. So I delete the gaps and STILL get a response that the URL is useless. Any ideas?
                Thanks,
                Art
              • Harvey White
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2013
                  On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 19:17:31 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Hi,
                  > I’ve been a lurker here for a looong time. Can someone tell me why I can’t use the URL’s posted in the messages? I noticed that (at least on MY computer) they have gaps in the typing – I’m assuming to stop SPAM. So I delete the gaps and STILL get a response that the URL is useless. Any ideas?

                  The URLs are formatted by Yahoo in whatever way it wishes. The URL
                  has to follow a normal format to be useful.

                  I'll put in a URL to a website that at least, for me, is reachable.
                  Let's see if you can get there.

                  www.dragonworks.info

                  Note that there is no period after the URL

                  Harvey

                  >Thanks,
                  >Art
                • Art Port
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2013
                    Huh. Thanks for offering the help. As delivered it has a gap in it between the dot and INFO. I figured that would definitely screw it up, and “maliciously” pasted it as it was but it worked anyway!
                    Then I “cleaned” it up and THAT worked too.
                    So I went back to a mail a few days ago and cut and pasted  http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/
                    When I tried that, I got zippo again
                    A little too random to make any conclusions.
                    Any idea?
                    Thanks again,
                    Art
                  • tcyclist
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2013
                      Can you provide a link to the post you refer to? I am unable to find it with an internet search.
                    • markkimball2000
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 3, 2013
                        Wow, a post that actually refers to the original topic :)

                        See:

                        http://www.binarytaskforce.com/Weblog/2010/07/05/minimill-dro-installation/

                        I also like the described approach because:
                        1.  The X axis DRO is behind, not in front, of the table.  No chance of interfering with the locking lever, and less exposed to harm.
                        2.  The Y axis DRO is on the left side of the table.  Also out of the way of the locking lever.
                        3.  The Z axis DRO is on the left side of the column, out of the way of the locking lever, Z axis  stop block and fast-Z handles.

                        I'm using remote-reading DRO's because the locations won't work very well with the ones that have the readouts on the sensor head.  If you use remote reading DRO's you get a lot more choices as far as placement goes.

                        The blog doesn't mention anything about methods to keep swarf/cutting fluids away from the DRO's.  That bit of engineering is up to the rest of us to figure out, but shouldn't be too difficult.

                        I haven't done this yet so can't say how noise-sensitive the setup will be.  There are some indications that YMMV in this regard.  If I run into that problem I will get some braided shielding, slip it over the cables & solder one end to ground (the DRO ground).

                        Mechanically speaking this approach is a little more complicated because the X and Y DROs share a common piece.  For that reason I'm doing it in a sequence that will (hopefully) ease the problem of getting good alignments to avoid binding problems.

                        -Mark

                        ---In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Can you provide a link to the post you refer to? I am unable to find it with an internet search.
                      • John Lindo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 3, 2013
                          This might help if you own a Weiss mill.
                          No DRO Z axis as the mill has an inbuilt DRO for the quill movement,a much better in my opinion,and the Z axis
                          has a graduated dial and scale,for approximate depth setting within 0.01MM
                          The 1 photo shows the brass stop block so as to avoid over extending the Y axis DRO and hitting the frame.I lost about 3/4" of travel.No big tragedy.
                          Y axis to the left,the r/h side has the 2 locking clamps (yes 2 on a Weiss) and rear mounting for the X axis,same reason and is out of the way under the rubber covers.
                          Works out well.

                          John
                          Spain.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013
                            I'm sorry, I thought I did. It was in a post from Digest 3988 which I copied below.
                            Thanks for your trouble, and if you think we should take this off-list, I'm good with that.
                            Art

                            Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                            "Neri Carmi" nericarmi

                            BTW, no intention to hijack the thread (just to add to it)
                            here is my take for the 3.3v regulated power for the iGaging display
                            http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/

                            When I copied and pasted it, I got this result

                            Your search - http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/ - did not match any documents.
                            Suggestions:
                            • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
                            • Try different keywords.
                            • Try more general keywords.
                            • Try fewer keywords.

                            Search Results

                              Ad related to http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets ...

                              1. Flickr Photos

                                www.ask.com/Flickr+Photos
                                Search for Flickr Photos Look Up Quick Results now!
                            1. Art Port
                              I just got it again in today s post about DRO s  The URL gives a Can t find Art Re: Igaging mounting hardware? Thu Oct 3, 2013 8:13 am (PDT) . Posted by:
                              Message 13 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

                                http://www.binaryta skforce.com/ Weblog/2010/ 07/05/minimill- dro-ins&# 92;

                                Message 14 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

                                  On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Art Port <artp10306@...> wrote:

[...]

                                  1. Neri Carmi
                                    and this is my install http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157633879256881/
                                    Message 15 of 17 , Oct 4, 2013

[...]

                                      1. robert M
                                        ... Here is the trick on this guys: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/ This is a modified version of the real URL; it will not
                                        Message 16 of 17 , Oct 6, 2013
                                          On 10/4/2013 6:41 AM, Art Port wrote:
                                          http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 73243110@ N04/sets/ 7215763604545550 4/
                                          Here is the trick on this guys:

                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/

                                          This is a modified version of the real URL; it will not appear as I have typed it. Yahoo will modify it for some reason by adding random spaces! Or, it could be the settings in your browser.

                                          "http://www.flickr.com/photos/73243110@N04/sets/72157636045455504/"

                                          MIGHT COME THROUGH PROPERLY BETWEEN QUOTES, OR NOT.

                                          Below is another attempt, replace asterisks with periods, ampersands with backslashes, and remove any spaces.

                                          http:&&www*flickr*com&photos&73243110@N04&sets&72157636045455504&

                                          Bob
                                        • Art Port
                                          Message 17 of 17 , Oct 7, 2013
                                            Well,
                                            I was feeling pretty smooth, having success last night, and now when I pasted every one of your suggestions in, with the suggested modifications, I'm back to FAIL.
                                            Thanks anyway,
                                            Art