Re: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Changing Spindle Bearings in a Real Bull

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
      Any reason a bearing removal tool like the one LMS used to sell that can
      be made from common hardware

      can't be used, or the process I outlined in

      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/pFIvUhebgibE0pUeRVQuNeDLmMHsmenldSYj-O4ZFxvHeCZHGMzEwzZrB48nnA4jlCBevBDX9IkxDa5Tb91PydvmYA/grizzly%20mini-mill.html>?

      Graciously,
      Jim E.
      Lakewood, Calif.
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!
    • CLevinski
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013

        Hi, Jim,

        That common hardware tool would have worked really well if I had known about it!  (I can't open the linked process; I get a "document not found" error.)  That's a really great idea!

        Thanks,

        Charlie

        New Jersey, US

      • CLevinski
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
          Hi, Malcolm,

          Excellent source... I ordered both bearings from them!

          Thanks,

          Charlie
          New Jersey, US

        • Jim E.
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 11, 2013
            Actually, thank Little Machine Shop for the tooling setup. They used to
            sell (i.e., I can't find it now) a similar setup. I just noted what
            they had and replicated.

            As far as the link, I was worried about that (Yahoo links never seem to
            easily transfer via cut/paste). Just go to the Files section on the
            group's website (it's now found under the "More" tab) and look for the
            singular file "grizzly mini-mill.html" owned by "tbn501s" (me).

            Graciously,
            Jim E.
            Lakewood, Calif.
            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

            clevinski@... wrote:

            > Hi, Jim,
            >

            > That common hardware tool would have worked really well if I had known
            > about it! (I can't open the linked process; I get a "document not
            > found" error.) That's a really great idea!
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > New Jersey, US
            >

            > No virus found in this message.

          • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 11, 2013
              The link works OK for me, try a search for ebay item 490033283738

              Malcolm

              Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
              The writing is on the wall.
              Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

              Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Changing Spindle Bearings in a Real Bull
              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 15, 2013
                  Apologies, try the ebay search for item 190596071177

                  Malcolm

                  Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                  The writing is on the wall.
                  Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 8, 2013
                    Just a final close to this subject... the replacement bearings finally arrived, and I installed them and reassembled the mill.  After correcting the fact that I didn't have the spindle q-u-i-t-e fully seated in the lower bearing, everything runs well and freely.  I've done a few projects with it and I'm happy with the outcome.  It was quite a learning experience... thanks to all here for their help and advice throughout the entire process!

                    Charlie
                    NJ, USA