RE: Changing Spindle Bearings in a Real Bull

  • CLevinski
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 7, 2013

      Danke, Johann,

      The issue now is that I have the spindle out of the upper bearing (the lower bearing remained on the spindle but came out of the housing), but I still cannot remove the assembly because there is a gear between the bearing positions.  This gear has a larger outer diameter than the openings where the bearings sit, so I'm going to have to remove this gear first.  It is keyed to the shaft.

      BTW, all the gears in my Real Bull mill were metal; you can see them here.

      MfG,

      Charlie

      New Jersey, US

      --- In grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com, <bigdukeone@...> wrote:

      Read in the link below,

      the lathe and the mill spindle is at least from the bearings the same. There are small differences between the Sieg and the Real Bull.

      I have a Real Bull, too and put a 850W motor from a G704 plus a belt drive on it. This is a very easy mod.

      Pay attention to the tight but sliding fit on the rearward bearing. Aim for schlip but not schlop, tight but loose ;) This controls how well you can set the preload. If you omit this step you can also just leave the old bearings in there.

      You will have to push out the spindle to the lower end, don´t care for the old plastic gears. With the belt drive, they are obsolete and they have no other function. So throw them out. The black ones are rather brittle.

      http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/C3%20Mini-Lathe%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf

      Cheers,
                         Johann

      --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, <grizhfminimill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello, All,

      After a lot of issues with my mill from the beginning, through a conversion to belt drive, it's finally become apparent that my spindle bearings are bad and need to be replaced.  I've tapped the spindle out of the upper bearing, popping the lower bearing out of the casting in the process, but the gear that encircles the spindle is still in place.  This gear is too large to fit through the bearing opening and so has to be removed from the spindle while inside the casting.  It is keyed to the spindle shaft.

      1. Have any of you changed these bearings before and, if so, could you please provide some hints and advice?

      2. Does anyone have any specific experience with removing the spindle gear?

      Any information would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks,

      Charlie
      New Jersey, US
    • johann_ohnesorg
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2013

        That´s what I´m talking about, there is a black plastic gear on the spindle. The fit is rather tight. Just push the spindle out. If you break the gear, well it happens. They cost less than 10 bucks and they are obsolete with your belt drive. Or are you talking about the second gear on the intermediate gear shaft? You have to get the circlips out to disassemble that one, this one is also obsolete with the belt drive.

        In case we still have a need to discuss, lets find an exploded view and argue from there. Are we talking about 1080 or 1140 here, on page 13/ page 55 ?

        http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0516_pl.pdf

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 8, 2013

          Hello, Johann,

          Well, I think it's more "discuss" than "argue"!  I appreciate all your comments...

          The mini-mill design is not the same as the lathe.  First, there are NO plastic gears at all.  I've removed ALL the gears except the one around the spindle, which is also metal; no plastic gears at all.

          I've linked here to scans of the exploded view of the mill, a detail of the gear train, and a photo of the gear.    Only part of the gear itself is visible, towards the right.  The gear around the spindle is item #122 in the scanned image.  It is locked in place with key #126.

          I have decided I'm going to remove housing #116 from housing #166 so I can put some supports under the gear and tap the spindle out with a brass hammer.  Keep your fingers crossed!

          Thanks,
          Charlie

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2013
            Charlie, don´t mince words with me, I´m not a native speaker, I was just beaten hard to talk by the guys out on the workfloor in Ohio.

            I´m pretty surprised, your mill looks completely different on the inside than mine does. I had huge plastic gears in there, like in the grizzly link and both were made of a pretty brittle cheapo plastic. It spelled ABS on the part but I guess that was just a word the die had imprinted and ABS with glass fibre filler was never used in the manufacturing process.

            I will follow up but I have to leave for a family event right now.

          • gerry waclawiak
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 8, 2013
              Hi Charlie,

              the head design for the sieg mini was actually taken from the headstock of their mini-lathe and many of the components were interchangeable including gear clusters and bearings (I know this to be the case as I bought after-market steel gears for the lathe "just in case" and ended up using them in the mill when I broke that. I also bought taper bearings for the lathe and ended up using them in the mill too!

              Gerry W
              Leeds UK
              ________________________________

            • CLevinski
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2013

                Hi, Johann,

                Your English is quite good (I work for a German company, and have a good appreciation of the differences in the languages), and my comment was exactly the same that I would have made to a native English speaker.  The point was that we are not arguing, but discussing the differences, and that I am happy to have your help.

                With Gerry's explanation, I now understand the confusion.  Apparently the Sieg lathe and mill use the same, or almost the same, headstock, while the Real Bull uses an entirely different design.

                Regards,

                Charlie

              • CLevinski
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2013
                  Hi, All,

                  I finally got the gear off the spindle by applying the second law of practical engineering: "If something should move, but doesn't, use a bigger hammer".  Once I got the spindle out of gear, removing the bearing from the shaft with a bearing puller only took a few minutes.  Now to order replacement bearings... BUT (there's always something), the manual for the mill shows the bearings to both be 6206RS bearings, while the actual bearings are 6206RZ on top and 7206AC on the bottom.  The lower spindle bearing is not sealed, which surprised the heck out of me, so I called Big Dog Metal Works, who sells the Real Bull mill in the U.S.  They disassembled one loose head they had and confirmed that the two bearings are different, and have the same numbers I mentioned above.

                  Now to research what the difference is...

                  Charlie
                  New Jersey, US

                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
                    Charlie

                    7000 series are angular contact bearings designed to take axial load, you could even replace the bottom bearing with a tapered roller as we do on the mini-lathe.
                    You can get 7000 series bearings with seals. Not the case for taper roller, you have to make your own seal.
                    See UK ebay supplier for 7206RS
                    <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190596071177?var=490033283738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>
                    .

                    Malcolm

                    Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                    The writing is on the wall.
                    Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                    Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] RE: Changing Spindle Bearings in a Real Bull
                    To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
                      Any reason a bearing removal tool like the one LMS used to sell that can
                      be made from common hardware

                      can't be used, or the process I outlined in

                      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/pFIvUhebgibE0pUeRVQuNeDLmMHsmenldSYj-O4ZFxvHeCZHGMzEwzZrB48nnA4jlCBevBDX9IkxDa5Tb91PydvmYA/grizzly%20mini-mill.html>?

                      Graciously,
                      Jim E.
                      Lakewood, Calif.
                      All Hail Rube Goldberg!
                    • CLevinski
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013

                        Hi, Jim,

                        That common hardware tool would have worked really well if I had known about it!  (I can't open the linked process; I get a "document not found" error.)  That's a really great idea!

                        Thanks,

                        Charlie

                        New Jersey, US

                      • CLevinski
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 10, 2013
                          Hi, Malcolm,

                          Excellent source... I ordered both bearings from them!

                          Thanks,

                          Charlie
                          New Jersey, US

                        • Jim E.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 11, 2013
                            Actually, thank Little Machine Shop for the tooling setup. They used to
                            sell (i.e., I can't find it now) a similar setup. I just noted what
                            they had and replicated.

                            As far as the link, I was worried about that (Yahoo links never seem to
                            easily transfer via cut/paste). Just go to the Files section on the
                            group's website (it's now found under the "More" tab) and look for the
                            singular file "grizzly mini-mill.html" owned by "tbn501s" (me).

                            Graciously,
                            Jim E.
                            Lakewood, Calif.
                            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                            clevinski@... wrote:

                            > Hi, Jim,
                            >

                            > That common hardware tool would have worked really well if I had known
                            > about it! (I can't open the linked process; I get a "document not
                            > found" error.) That's a really great idea!
                            >

                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Charlie
                            >
                            > New Jersey, US
                            >

                            > No virus found in this message.

                          • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 11, 2013
                              The link works OK for me, try a search for ebay item 490033283738

                              Malcolm

                              Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                              The writing is on the wall.
                              Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                              To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 15, 2013
                                  Apologies, try the ebay search for item 190596071177

                                  Malcolm

                                  Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                                  The writing is on the wall.
                                  Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                                  To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 8, 2013
                                    Just a final close to this subject... the replacement bearings finally arrived, and I installed them and reassembled the mill.  After correcting the fact that I didn't have the spindle q-u-i-t-e fully seated in the lower bearing, everything runs well and freely.  I've done a few projects with it and I'm happy with the outcome.  It was quite a learning experience... thanks to all here for their help and advice throughout the entire process!

                                    Charlie
                                    NJ, USA